Your Divine Gift: A Tarot Spread

in Soul Work, Tarot

My kitty Cleo

My good friend James Wells honored me by creating this layout he calls “The Joanna Powell Colbert Layout.”  <blush!>  He writes:

This layout is based on the name of my dear friend, the loving and creative Joanna Powell Colbert — artist, author, retreat host, priestess, teacher, and tarot consultant. The forename Joanna means “The Divine is gracious” and/or “Gift from the Divine”. The surnames — Powell and Colbert — mean “Eminent”, “Bright” and “Famous”. When we turn these meanings and qualities into questions, we get this tarot spread:

1. What is my divine gift in this lifetime?
      2. How can I graciously share it?
      3. To what eminence can I rise by sharing this divine gift?
      4. What brightness does this gift provide?

jpc tarot spread

Thank you James!

Please give the layout a try and share your results in the comments.  Blessings!

• Amanda Tue - Dec 03rd 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks so much for sharing! What a great gift. Wouldn’t it be a wonderful and unique gift to give to friends and family using their names? I might have to give it a try.
    Blessings,
    Amanda

• Debra Eve Tue - Dec 03rd 2013 10:43 pm

Looking forward to trying this! And what a wonderful present. It must be a sign, since that looks just like my kitty staring at me. 🙂

• Seonaid Wed - Dec 04th 2013 7:26 am

First, let me say I feel a little strange interpreting your cards on your website. 🙂

I drew Gaia. One of my friends posted this link, and I reached out my hand to the deck sitting on my side table, and in “My divine gift in this lifetime” I drew Gaia… I had a little moment of overwhelm and then gathered myself. So be it.

2: The two of water… heart openness. Compassion. I don’t associate this one with a particular other, but that ability to connect heart to heart with The Other…

(That combination came up in my last reading as well)

3: 10 of air (impermanence) This seemed like a strange card to get in the place of eminence, but when I was recently asked what message I would bring, it was about becoming more comfortable with the truth of impermanence. I also keep Ozymandias at the ready, and “This too shall pass” is my touchstone to keep me present. So. Impermanence, perhaps.

4: Elder of fire. Bridging the worlds? Power and transformation. Skilful means, I say.

• Deb B Wed - Dec 04th 2013 5:52 pm

What a lovely gift he’s given you! I drew my cards for this spread as follows:

1) The Magician
    2) The Queen of Cups
    3) The Knight of Pentacles
    4) 10 of swords

Overall, I’m pleased with the reading. It’s consistent with other information that I’ve been told in the past. Thank you for sharing the spread with us!

• Jean Fri - Dec 06th 2013 11:53 pm

James has created a clever spread! It’s a useful one, too.

1. Seven of Swords – regaining something that was lost, becoming resourceful
    2. Ace of Wands – developing the potential, planting seeds in realm of spirit
    3. Strength – accepting your feelings and gaining strength, teaching and healing others
    4. Two of Swords – balance, intuition, and justice

Your kitty is beautiful!

Jean

• Joanna Powell Colbert Mon - Dec 09th 2013 7:26 am

I love hearing all your readings, and I agree this is a lovely spread that James created.

Seonaid, people interpret my cards all the time in my presence! So no worries there. 🙂

Blessings to all.

• carrie Fri - Dec 20th 2013 3:35 pm

what a lovely and thoughtful spread.
    Here’s what I got:
    1. The Sun
    2. Gaia the World
    3. 4 of Air
    4. 9 of Earth

• KJ D'Costa Wed - Apr 09th 2014 9:00 pm

I used the Wildwood Tarot and received the following:

1)The Pole Star (Star)
    2)Four of Bows (Four of Wands)
    3)The Ancestor (The Hierophant)
    4)Nine of Stones (Nine of Pentacles)

Pretty heady stuff here. So it seems I am charged with bringing/giving hope through celebration and festivity, rising to the level of a holy person (may have something to do with my pursuit of an interfaith seminary degree), and lastly the brightness being the reverence for past wisdom, knowledge and ritual.

Thank you for this.

• Joanna Powell Colbert Thu - Apr 10th 2014 8:17 am

You are welcome! Love your reading.