Earth-Centered Practices for Everyday Mystics, Healers, & Creatives

Free to Share: “How to Make a Spirit Doll” eBook!

in Art, Art Tutorial, Creativity, Spiritual Practice

I wrote a series of blog posts last fall on “How to Make a Spirit Doll,” based on the dolls we made at the Gaian Soul Retreat last September. Those posts have turned out to be some of the most popular ever on this blog, so I thought it was time to turn them into a PDF ebook that can easily be shared. So here it is.  I hope you’ll Tweet it, Facebook it, email it to your friends, and have loads of fun making your own Spirit Dolls. Thanks and New Year’s Blessings!

To download a PDF:
Right-click (or on a Mac, control-click) with your mouse over the link and select:

• Firefox: Save Link As …
  • Internet Explorer: Save Target As …
  • Safari: Save or Download Linked File As …

Your PDF can be sent to your Kindle or opened on your iPad.

Have fun!

• Indigene Theresa Gaskin Sun - Dec 30th 2012 9:04 pm

This is such an amazing gift to start the new year off! 🙂 Since New Year’s my birthday, I see it as my first gift of the year, so thank you!!

Just an FYI, I tried to save it and it gave me an error every time I tried, I finally saved it in my google documents and it was saved. I’m not sure if the glitch is on my end or not, just wanted to give you a heads up!

Once again, thank you my dear sweet Capricorn sister for such a wonderful gift. Have a happy and successful new year!

• Joanna Mon - Dec 31st 2012 6:41 am

Happy Birthday, Indigene! So happy you are the first to discover this post! 🙂

All seems to be working here with the download . . . what system (Mac or PC) and browser are you using? I can ask Shari the Tech Support Goddess to help us out.

Blessings!

• Lisa McKay Mon - Dec 31st 2012 3:24 pm

Thank you so much for such a beautiful gift project ebook. I already printed mine and will start collecting items for my doll…first, I have to discover my intention for the New Year…I have an idea for it-must write it down first. 🙂
    Love, Light & Hugs~Lisa

• Joanna Mon - Dec 31st 2012 6:50 pm

You are so welcome, Lisa. Can’t wait to see a photo of your doll! Hugs and Blessings . . .

• Lisa McKay Mon - Dec 31st 2012 9:27 pm

Muah! You’re awesome Joanna! Happy New Year! ~Lisa

• Linda Fri - Jan 04th 2013 8:46 am

Hi Joanna!
    I have been looking forward to this compilation and it’s as beautiful as the dolls! I am excited to make a doll and share this process with others. I apologize if you covered this already in the blog posts, but can you give approximations for amount of time to allow for each step? For planning workshops, and especially if it may need to be split over 2 days.

Thank you so much for this generous gift!
    Blessings, Linda

• Joanna Fri - Jan 04th 2013 10:50 am

Hi Linda, so glad you like the ebook!

The time varies greatly depending on the person making the doll. I’ve had a couple of emails recently from people who made one in an evening. At my Retreat, we started on Friday afternoon and worked on them for about 2 hours, then some people worked on them that evening and again during their break time on Saturday (another 2-3 hours). Others worked into the night, Saturday night. So I do think they could be made in a one-day workshop. Possibly a half day workshop. But I think part of the power resides in taking as much time as necessary, to let the process unfold.

If you do want people to finish a doll in a one-day or half-day workshop, be sure to send them an email ahead of time with prep info — thinking about the theme of the doll, gathering supplies, etc.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

• victoria Fri - Jan 04th 2013 5:39 pm

dear joanna,

thank you SO much for this beautiful gift. i am loving the idea of planning for my doll, i think i’ll let her get in touch with me as the days of this year are new. meanwhile, i’ll be looking for materials to clothe her with when she ‘arrives’.

i might take this to my women’s circle for our upcoming gathering .

just lovely!

best wishes for an excellent year,
    love, victoria

• Joanna Sat - Jan 05th 2013 10:06 am

I’m so glad you are inspired by the booklet, Victoria. I hope you and your friends have a grand time creating spirit dolls. 🙂

• feral Wed - Feb 06th 2013 8:28 am

I would love to share a picture of the Spirit Doll I made recently: She Who Wakes The Trees. How can I send it to you?

• Kat Lakie Wed - Nov 06th 2013 7:08 pm

I love your dolls, thanks for showing me how to make one and for free……couldn’t be better.

• Jill Thu - Feb 27th 2014 4:34 pm

Thanks for the great tutorial. We will be making dolls for the Equinox. Blessings….

• alma Tue - Apr 08th 2014 11:37 am

Beautiful!
    But – what do you suggest to do with the doll once you don’t need her anymore? Because your intention is realized or something like this. Do you have any suggestions or ideas on that?

BB* Alma

• Joanna Powell Colbert Tue - Apr 08th 2014 7:14 pm

Hi Alma,
      If I wanted to keep the doll, I would smudge it until I felt it was completely cleansed, and then I would hang it on a wall or keep it on an altar. If I wanted to let it go, I would ceremonially burn it or bury it.
      I think most people keep theirs.
      Hope this helps!

• Joan Thu - Jun 05th 2014 2:33 pm

Bright Greetings, Joana! It is SO interesting how every step I take (as I begin working with The Gaian Tarot), brings me to other places here, in the landscape of your wonderful Realm, where I am thrilled to come and play and learn. This moment in time, “How to make Spirit Dolls” brings me back to a moment, when I was at WomensCircle, one year, and we made, what I now see, was a spirit doll. I know I still have mine, and it’s been fifteen years since then. It is thrilling! And I fully intend, this summer to create a new spirit doll, which will grace my Meditation room along with all my years, journies’ gifts from Wise Women such as yourself.
    Thank you so very much for your gifts!

Joan

• Joanna Powell Colbert Fri - Jun 06th 2014 7:01 am

Hi Joan! So glad to hear this. Not sure if you saw this, but you can download the whole PDF for free from this page:

Blessings!

• Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art Thu - Jan 15th 2015 1:54 pm

Thank you so much for your generosity, we are making Spirit Doll’s in a mixed media group that I belong to and your wonderful ebook has helped me to understand the true meaning and intent of a Spirit Doll. I’ve shared the link to your ebook with the others in my group so they too can be inspired. Thank you again, Deb

• Joanna Powell Colbert Wed - Jan 21st 2015 7:57 am

You are so welcome, Deb!

• Anne. Sat - May 13th 2017 4:23 pm

Thank you – not just the doll techniques, but especially for the “spirit” enclosures.

Share yours…