Last year, I designed this spread based on the Gaian Tarot Elder of Fire card. Many people have commented on the power of this card, especially the potent gaze of the curandera herself. I’ll be doing a reading using this spread over the weekend. How about you? Let’s share our readings in the comments. Blessed be.
Here’s what I wrote in the Gaian Tarot companion book about this card:
A curandera (healer) squats on the earth in front of an altar honoring the ancestors during Los Días de los Muertos — the Days of the Dead. She holds a handful of burning herbs that direct waves of energy to dissipate the foul and bring in the sweet. She lives in la época del mito (the Otherworld, the time of myth) as much — or more — than she does in the world of consensual reality. Her gaze, directed at the viewer, is potent and challenging. She reminds us to open up to the Otherworld, the world of energy patterns and spirits and Invisibles. When we shift our inner reality, our outer reality shifts as well. Her ally is Iguana, who brings the medicine of the dreamtime.
The “Elder of Fire” Tarot Spread
1. Offering: What or who is dead or dying, that you need to honor?
2. Challenge: What task does the Elder of Fire ask of you?
3. Center: Where do you find your center of power?
4. Opening: What new sweetness is wafting in on the scent of burning herbs?
5. Wisdom: What secrets do the ancestors whisper to you during this season of All Hallows?
(If you liked this spread, you will probably love my Gaian Soul Seasonal Practices for Hallowmas ~ Samhain ~ All Souls e-course. I invite you to check it out.)