Weekly Wisdom: Taking the Seven of Earth Literally

in Card of the Week, Nature, Place, Tarot

Yes, it’s my old friend the Seven of Earth — and this time, I think I actually got the message! (By the way, that’s a Western Red Cedar right behind me in the video — just like the one she’s planting in the card.)

My apologies for a few glitches in the sound. I’m still learning how to do this video-blogging thang. This is a great example of imperfect action — as in “imperfect action beats perfect inaction every time”!

What wisdom does the Seven of Earth have for you, Dear Reader?

Gaian Tarot 7 of Earth

• Della Mon - Mar 28th 2011 3:44 pm

Ah yes, insistent messengers 🙂
    You almost always refer to this card by mentioning planting for the long haul, future generations, etc.
    Today as I listen to you describe your decision to plant this herb garden, what I hear is ~ You’re planting YOUR future, not THE future.
    May you and your herbs grow and prosper, she said in her best Spock voice.

• judy Mon - Mar 28th 2011 7:51 pm

I love the video talks, Joanna.. feels more connected.. only thing missing is a cup of tea, eh?
    Your 7 of Earth speaks to me, today, of my roots in the deep forest(literally, my ancestry goes way back to Eastern European forest people).
    I feel like I am being planted in the nourishing soil of these places and the nutrients are running up into my body, filling my blood and my every cell with the strength and the wisdom of the ancient Goddess cultures there. Mmmmmmm.

• Joanna Tue - Mar 29th 2011 7:15 am

Della, thank you, especially for the Spock-voice blessing! Judy, I love your interp. Great visual! And also glad you like the videos. They are far from perfect, but that’s OK. Yep, sitting down to a cuppa tea would be even better but we do what we can. 🙂

• Carey Tue - Mar 29th 2011 7:37 am

It reminds me to keep up my hope, my efforts, to keep planting (literally) all those gardens, they are making a difference even if I am long gone, they’ve made a difference. It reminds me to not despair, for the small things we plant do take root and grow, and as long as one keeps planting (tending, caring, trying, making an effort, doing what’s needed, making even the small, yet inspired efforts) the forest (literally and figuratively) will grow, but we must be vigilant and not give up we must continue to try. (I know this was very repetitive, but that is how the message of this card always speaks to me.)

• Joanna Tue - Mar 29th 2011 7:52 am

Love that, Carey. You could almost make a poem out of your response. That’s how the repetitive phrases sound to me — like a meditative poem. Thank you.

• Carey Tue - Mar 29th 2011 8:11 am

Oh, ~Thank you~, Joanna.

• Tracie Nichols Tue - Mar 29th 2011 10:12 am

I had to laugh Joanna, the 7 of Earth has shown up for me several times just in the past few weeks! Like many of the responses above, I feel like she’s guiding me into my roots, but in a practical way — like I’m being reminded to tap the deep wisdom of my human and beyond human ancestry as I’m planting myself in the fertile soil of my creative process now. Her repeated appearances now, though, are all about having the patience to plant well and trust the harvest will be abundant, I think. BTW – I love the video blogging!

• BlackBirdie Tue - Mar 29th 2011 9:00 pm

this reminds me of the garden my church will be planting this year. at least some of the produce will go to food pantries.

• Joanna Wed - Mar 30th 2011 7:44 am

Beautiful, Tracie. LOVE your “ancestral” interpretation. And glad you like the video blogging. It’s a little scary to put myself out there like that!

BlackBirdie, I love it that what you and your church is planting will go to feed the community. Blessed be.

• Carey Wed - Mar 30th 2011 4:43 pm

Hey Joanna, this card keeps speaking. Today I began the day totally spacey. I attribute this to the Merc retro, which having gobs of mercury in my chart it tends to do. (let’s just see if I can write a coherent thought.) So, going about my day which happened to be the busiest day all month since we’d gotten a zipcar for the day. Back to spacey–here I am trying desperately to keep a grip on just crossing the street and remembering to look *both* ways (In Queens!) and I have to orchestrate a day of running all over town. Our second trip was to Home Depot to collect wood and soil. The soil being for our co-op apartment building for which I am the gardener. 7 Earth flashed though my consciousness as we were leaving, covered in soil from the wet muddy bags and I felt completely grounded and alert. All day when I drifted back to space-land I’d visualize *digging, planting, digging, planting* and my alertness would return. 7 Earth came this week to help us stay grounded, as indicated by the masses of responses above.

xxoo

• Joanna Sun - Apr 03rd 2011 9:17 am

I love this story, Carey!

• Jordan Hoggard Wed - Apr 06th 2011 7:42 am

Thank you, Joanna, and I have to laugh as well, and as well well up a bit. First off, my deepest condolences to you for your friend Paul, his picture spoke a thousand wonderful words.
    This is my 1st spring in my new place in Santa Fe, will be my 2nd summer coming up. Last summer was mostly a garden experiment to get a better gardener’s sense of the high desert as I moved here in late June — and it is 2,000 feet higher than semi-arid Denver. I have taken things out of my gardens, but do not often have things die, certainly not rosemary or lavendar. I planted 3 rosemary plants last summer, yet watered them like I was in Denver, kept the snow off of them for sun. Several sedums as well. The rosemary did not make it past mid-winter. That was a first for me, and listening to your story of the 7 of Earth struck many chords to resonate. I have been planning my herbs and bulbs and succulents, some interesting bushes and grasses to orchestrate some visual music of scale and height across the whole, though not to the degree of controlling forest giants in concrete pots kinda thing. ;-D
    What struck me the most is that your video resonated so much with what I have been up to across the board. Coming to a clean slate place where everything feels new, and I have my Tarot bulbs in the Land of Mystereum naturalizing. . .but the 7 of Earth. Planting YOUR future rather than THE future. That says it. Amidst all I have produced, my accomplishments, my successes, my flat-on-my-faces, I was feeling, “What do I have to show for it?” It seems I naturalized my inner garden, have a cat who acts like he is 4 who just turned 18 who also loves to garden. Time to plant MY future to evolve to naturalize IN my new courtyard garden. 1st year roots. 2nd year foliage. 3rd year fruits and flowers.
    I look forward to 8 next year after 7, and then dynamic beginning to naturalize 9/10 in the 3rd/4th years from now beginning a cycle strongly.
    I lost my turn-of-the-century pride and joy garden in 2008 where I began Mystereum. Starting fresh, and though I got plenty done across those years, the 7 of Earth plants the distinct feeling to stop living like there is no tomorrow — seems to me that is the general coasting feeling of me-minus-garden. To take care. To honor what I have done whether coasting or focused or comfortable with the not-knowing . . . but a more simple and expansive gardener’s sense was rehydrated as my fingers pushed into the dirt yesterday. As I noticed the succulents poking up their noses. As I noticed a few straggling and haggard perennials from the person who lived here before.
    The 7 of Earth. Planting MY future rather than THE future. Rather than some !!!!’s with my Thank You, I simply send thoughts of the riotous orange of tiger lillies, and the smells of lavendar and rosemary wafting across the house as my cat who would weave-rub through it would stand by an open window. Thank You, Joanna. It is with a great smile that I am a gardener again this year with my hands. 7 of Earth Best to You. Jupiter’s Blessings, Jordan

• Joanna Wed - Apr 06th 2011 8:02 am

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, Jordan. I am going to be musing on your post all day. And I can smell the rosemary and lavender now. Big hugs.