Listening for the Voice of Guidance

in Soul Work, Spiritual Practice, Spirituality

cedars in the wind

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, worshipper, lover of living, it doesn’t matter.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.
Come even if you have broken your vow a thousand times,
Come, yet again, come, come.
— Rumi

I woke before dawn this morning to the sound of a windstorm whipping through the giant cedar trees outside my window. I pulled myself up, gathered the blankets around me, and began my morning litany:

Thank you, Beloved One, oh thank you . . .

for my home, my community, my sweetheart, my granddaughter, my creativity, my intelligence, my resourcefulness, my spiritual practice, my spiritual home, my money in the bank.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you . . .

I sent my energy out into the East, past the alder grove and the lake to Komo Kulshan and the North Cascades beyond.

I sent my energy out into the South, past Galbraith Mountain to the Skagit flats and tulip fields.

I sent my energy out to the West, beyond Bellingham Bay to my beloved island among many islands.

I’ve come to realize how important it is to have a daily spiritual practice to help us discern the right way to go when making business decisions, as well as personal ones.

I sent my energy out to the North, to farms and raspberry fields and distant Canadian peaks.

I sent my energy out to the stars above and deep into the earth below . . .

I sent my grounding cord down deep into the body of the Mother.

I centered myself at the still point of the turning world.

I watched my breathing, silently, in the quiet, holy darkness; then rose to meet my day.

So began my perfectly imperfect spiritual practice.

I’ve broken my vows a thousand times — haven’t you?

And yet I return, as often as I can, to this daily practice of connecting to the Beloved, to Spirit, to Goddess.

For if we don’t make a habit of creating sacred space and silence in our lives, how will we hear Her voice when we most need it?

Gaian Tarot Two of AirBack in the 90’s, I taught a three year Priest/ess training program, designed for those who were called to serve the Goddess and Her community in their personal or professional lives. One of the key pieces of the curriculum was a daily spiritual practice. It doesn’t matter what it is, I said; it can be journaling or yoga or ritual, or pulling a Tarot card, or singing, or dancing, or watching one’s breaths in meditation. But it’s vital to make the invitation, every day, for Her to enter in.

In recent years my priestess work has become my professional work. I’ve come to realize that it’s more important than ever to have a daily spiritual practice to help one discern the right way to go when making business decisions. To invest in this program or that product; to hire this assistant or that one; to raise one’s rates this high or thaaaaaaat high, or lower them. Whew!

We need to be able to hear the voice of guidance clearly, especially when it comes to the big decisions that involve significant amounts of money, time, or creative energy.

It’s important to have both a yin (receptive) spiritual practice and a yang (active) one.  Meditation is receptive, for example. Making a gratitude list and saying affirmations are active. Reading Tarot cards can be both active and passive, in my experience. When we play with Tarot cards, we listen for the message they have for us, then we take action by creating an affirmation or making plans to follow the counsel of the cards.

Why not ask the cards this question:  How can I better hear the voice of guidance?

Gaian Tarot Ten of WaterI pulled the 10 of Water.

My attention was immediately drawn to the whirlpool, or eddy, in the center of the river. It reminds me of a “zip centering practice” I’ve done for many years, when I take a moment to ground, then imagine energy swirling around me in a clockwise direction. I visualize myself centered at the core of the whirlwind.

The answer came:  “No matter what is dying, or what is being born, I stay calm and centered in the midst of the flow. Out of the calm center will come the clear voice of guidance.”

This is a good reminder for me, to practice “zip centering” the next time I get upset or anxious.

I’d love to hear your answers to that question, dear Readers. How can you better hear the voice of guidance?

Come, come, whoever you are. . .
Come even if you have broken your vow a thousand times,
Come, yet again, come, come.

• Marilyn Shannon Wed - Dec 01st 2010 3:47 pm

Thank you Joanna. The winds have been whipping here too, both internally and externally. Thank you for these very thoughtful words of guidance.
    M

• Joanna Wed - Dec 01st 2010 4:42 pm

Sending you comfort and clarity, Marilyn!

• Otter Wed - Dec 01st 2010 4:53 pm

Thank you. Thank you for bringing words to light that can heal and touch the heart. What a gift you are, Joanna.

• judy Wed - Dec 01st 2010 8:09 pm

Thank you for this, Joanna… so generous and not only a beautiful post.. but one that touches me right where I am now.
    Inspired and encouraged by Beth, I have been making what I call ‘Medicine Beads’ to bring myself back to a daily practise and to bring me to that ‘Center’ you speak of. I found the experience so delightful and powerful.. I began sharing it with others.. singly and in small groups. In March, I will share it with a large group as a presenter at the Toronto Tarot Symposium. (Ah, I think some of Elizabeth and all her business sense is beginning to rub off on this old artist)
    The process is similar to the practise you describe, Joanna.. using the beads to represent what we want to bring into focus. If you’re interested in more of a description.. have a look at my blogsite. http://www.judyshop.wordpress.com.

• Laume Wed - Dec 01st 2010 11:44 pm

Thank you for this post. I asked the question and got a very helpful response.

• Nancy Hendrickson Thu - Dec 02nd 2010 1:03 pm

I drew the Death card. I was immediately drawn to the light on the water, the bird and the flowers. It reminded me that all things are present in this instant – – death and life, past, present and future, beginning and end. I envision myself stopping and being exactly where I am in the moment. Stillness.

• Joanna Thu - Dec 02nd 2010 5:40 pm

Otter, you are so welcome. Judy, I think your beads are beautiful, and I look forward to seeing them “in person” at the Readers Studio next spring. Laume, so glad it worked for you. Nancy, I love the message you found in the Death card. Thank you.

• Deb Strom Fri - Dec 03rd 2010 11:47 pm

I drew the 3 of Earth. I have not had much connection with my sister recently. I belive the message for me is that the Goddess speaks through others in order to be more easily heard. I need to be in contact with my Goddess sisters in order to hear the wisdom. It is through them that the Goddess guides, comforts, heals, challenges and enriches my life.

What a great question to ask–thank you Joanna!!

• Joanna Sat - Dec 04th 2010 9:17 am

Deb – love your answer. 🙂 And I so totally agree. There’s a synergy that happens when we are together with our soul-sisters, and such wisdom can emerge!

• Otter Mon - Dec 06th 2010 10:27 am

I asked the cards this morning, “How can I better hear the voice of guidance?” I pulled the Three of Earth. I was immediately drawn to the open window – a feeling of being indoors and outdoors at the same time. Next were the women – being with others (I’ve been a bit withdrawn lately). The message I got was get your answers from the Earth, get outside, be with people, share what you learn or listen and learn. I love this card! I want to jump in and be a part of the picture. It also gave me another message – Take care of your body (something I’ve not been doing so well). So, I’m working on that and coming again. Starting a daily morning spiritual practice (I like that – practice makes perfect). 🙂

• Joanna Mon - Dec 06th 2010 11:54 am

Otter – you and Deb drew the same card! It must be true, that we do hear the voice of guidance when we gather together in small groups, and spend time with Mama Gaia. And all of the above. oh yes, practice makes perfect, or at least it makes a good, imperfect habit, LOL!