Nine of Water – Gaian Tarot Card of the Week

in Art, Card of the Week, Gaian Tarot

nine of waterWhat do we most need to know for the coming week?

Nine of Water

Oh what a lovely card to pull this morning.  It takes me right back to the day I spent on a magical beach in Tintagel, Cornwall and in mystical Merlin’s Cave.  This is a card of ecstasy, of being filled with the Divine Spirit, of being lifted up out of yourself and into another realm. Then we come back “down to earth” to live our daily lives. But we are forever changed, for we have touched the face of the Other.

Looking at the card fills me with joy as I remember singing “Ave Stella Maris” to the Ocean Mother, then picking up nine white stones to carry home.  It’s a reminder, I think, to live intentionally and in the moment — and take the time to let God/dess fill us up.

And of course, the traditional meaning of the 9 of Cups is that you get your wish!

What does this card say to you, dear Readers?

• Debra She Who Seeks Tue - Feb 16th 2010 10:57 am

I love this Nine of Cups! And it fits in perfectly with the blog post I wrote yesterday about my visit to Merlin’s Cave, too! It was because of your wonderful blog description of the Journey to Avalon tour that you took with Mara Freeman that my Rare One and I signed up for the same tour last September. We had a wonderful time!

• Colleen Tue - Feb 16th 2010 11:12 am

How perfect just as you are releasing your limited edition decks into the world.

• Tracie Tue - Feb 16th 2010 2:07 pm

How wonderfully, appropriately magical, Joanna!

• Hecate, Runnymead Conspirator Tue - Feb 16th 2010 3:34 pm

So different from the “standard” 9 of Cups. To me, it says: Keep living YOUR truth, not the story that the world tells you about yourself.
    It’s truly lovely card.

• joanna Wed - Feb 17th 2010 7:50 am

Debra – how wonderful you went on this same journey. I’ll pop over to your blog and read your account. Colleen and Tracie – thank you. Hecate, yeah – LOVE your interpretation. Blessings.

• Shell Wed - Feb 17th 2010 7:17 pm

Gives me the feeling like all our prayers have been answered. Being at Merlin’s Cave sounds wonderful, all the energy there must be fab.

• Barbara Thu - Feb 18th 2010 11:54 am

I’ve always loved the idea of the 9 of Cups/Water as the wish card.
    This one has that feeling, for sure. But even better. Because sometimes I feel like I’m not quite sure what I want but instead have that “I’ll know it when I see it” feeling.
    This card makes me feel like I’m seeing it and knowing it and so happy to be getting it.

• Casey Wed - Jan 22nd 2014 5:42 pm

Hi there, I know this thread is old but I can’t find an answer to this and I am a beginner. What is implied when the Nine of Water (Rainbow Mirror) card is reversed? Any guidance is appreciated.

CP

• Joanna Powell Colbert Wed - Jan 22nd 2014 5:51 pm

Hi Casey, I am not sure what “Rainbow Mirror” means. But I read reversals as the shadow side of the card. Here’s what I wrote in the Gaian Tarot book:

When you read the Shadow side of this card (9 of Water) . . .
      You have shut down your senses and have forgotten how to open up to the Divine. You may be looking for your happiness in material possessions but are never satisfied, no matter how much you have. You may be feeling smug about your success and your possessions. Dive deep into your heart to know what will bring you true and lasting happiness.

• Casey Mon - Jan 27th 2014 2:56 pm

Thank you so much for your reply! I just drew the 9 of cups card for the second time in a row (this is only my second time using my deck), but this time it was right side up. I have to believe there are no coincidences. 🙂 “Rainbow Mirror” is what the 9 of Water card is called in this particular deck (Tarot of the Spirit). I thank you for taking the time to provide the extra information.

~Casey