Guardian of Air: Gaian Tarot Card of the Week

in Art, Tarot

G-air

What do we most need to know for the coming week?

Guardian of Air

I’m just back from our annual Mermaid Retreat, where I gather each year with my sister priestesses from the Circle of Stella Maris. We’ve been together nearly fifteen years. This is a time we all cherish, when we go deep with each other and bear witness to the stories we each have to offer. This year, amidst the good food and walks by the water, we realized that we need to brush up on our conflict resolution skills. So I was not surprised to see the Guardian of Air appear today. I am still pondering what happens when each woman in a group speaks her truth, and sometimes one person’s truth is hurtful to another, even when that was not the intention. I am considering taking some local classes on Empowered Communication, which come highly recommended from people I trust. I think it will be a good move, if I can just figure out how to fit it into my schedule.

Here’s what I wrote in the Gaian Tarot companion book about the Guardian of Air:

When you get this card in a reading . . .

The Guardian of Air brings clarity to every situation, even if it hurts. She sees straight through to the core of things, making her very candid and direct. She teaches us to cut away everything that is extraneous, until only the truth of the matter remains. She bestows gifts of skillful communication, whether writing, speaking, or editing. The Guardian of Air places great value on self-discipline and has little patience with those who do not. This may be reflected in an autonomous, or austere lifestyle. Now is not the time to shrink from making difficult decisions. It is time to speak the truth loudly, boldly, and with great integrity.

Affirmation

I declare my own truth with candor and clarity.

What does this card say to you, dear Readers?

• Mae Tue - Feb 09th 2010 1:12 pm

Ah she’s like a breath of fresh air. I’ve been dealing with online drama all day now and I dearly wish that people would just take a deep breath and clear their heads of it for a moment.
    Also, the time when I can draw these cards myself is getting so close that could almost feel the deck in my hands as I looked at this week’s card.

• Theresa Tue - Feb 09th 2010 2:10 pm

I’m a huge believer in truth but learning how to speak it but still remain compassionate and kind is not an easy feat. Last night, my daughter wanted me to read a poem she wrote. The writing was excellent but the material was very negative. Without thinking, I said so and really hurt her feelings. Even when I tried to point out that the writing was good, all she heard was the negative part. How to find the balance between honesty and sensitivity? I struggle with this…
    I love the book “Non-Violent Communication” – it is a great piece on communicating authentically but with kindness. Here’s more info about it: http://www.cnvc.org/
    🙂
    Theresa

• Tracie Tue - Feb 09th 2010 3:47 pm

I had the opportunity to take a class several years ago called “Dialogue as Spiritual Practice”. It was a transformative experience – even the idea of thinking about dialogue or conversation as a spiritual practice can shift how a group communicates and receives communication. I’m interested to hear how your Empowered Communication class goes (assuming you find the space in your schedule).

• Dove Tue - Feb 09th 2010 7:36 pm

I suppose what we have to do is look at the other person like they are a mirror 🙂 How do we wish to be treated, spoken to, in what way would we want someone to respond to our “poem”? Do we want a loving response, the kind of energy we’re always preachin’–or do we hunger for brutal “truth,” devoid of compassion, kindness, forgiveness? The energy we’re conveying simply reflects how we feel about ourselves.
    Dove

• Anna Helvie Wed - Feb 10th 2010 4:56 am

I think learning to communicate compassionately and non-violently is something we call need to practice. I also think we all need to practice “balanced hearing,” which means taking ownership of our own emotional responses to what others are telling us, and having the ability to sift and weigh it and examine our reactions. I think speakers have the responsibility to speak gently but accurately even if it will hurt the hearer, because ultimately the speaker is not responsible for the hearer’s emotional response to the message.

• joanna Wed - Feb 10th 2010 8:03 am

Theresa, I just realized you are “the tarot lady”, right? And you are in the ABMMM group, right? Very cool. Thanks for your comment. The Empowered Communication class is based on Marshall Rosenberg’s work, including the book Nonviolent Communication. Yes I should at least read the book and share it with the mermaid sisters if I can’t make it to a class.
    Tracie (you are in ABMMM too!) — your class sounds fabulous. I will probably not be able to take the local class until fall. Dove, you make a great point. The golden rule. Anna, I agree that both the speaker and the listener have a responsibility to the process of communication.
    Really great comments. Thank you.

• Arwen Wed - Feb 10th 2010 9:37 am

One thing my Queen of Air self has learned to remember (grin) is that I can only control what is in my hula hoop. My truth needs to be about myself and not others. It is not my job to tell others what I see about them. It is my job to be positive and uplifting and kind. I own a razor-sharp tongue that has done too much soul-slashing in my lifetime. My goal is to focus on myself these days.
    Love your Guardian of Air. She seems to be waiting to speak. I see that owl swooping in as wisdom coming. She knows to wait for that wisdom before blurting things out.

• Lunaea Wed - Feb 10th 2010 9:56 am

Using the imagery of your card in particular, my thought is that the sounds produced by the crystal bowl (and other singing bowls) can sometimes be unpleasantly piercing as their clarifying vibrations spin into the air, purifying, centering, driving out petty thoughts, opening the mind to something more powerful, more real. It’s not always pretty, and so it is with Truth.

• Theresa Sat - Feb 20th 2010 7:29 am

Yup, Joanna, that’s me! 🙂 I love Marshall Rosenberg’s work and found after reading his book, I got very turned off by the people around me who communicate in a violent fashion. I didn’t even realize how many people I knew who communicated like that. Even I did in some ways and I consider myself a peaceful and reasonable person! Part of the biggest change I have had is getting rid of those people.

• Cate Sat - Feb 27th 2010 6:40 pm

I love this card, and it (rather She) really speaks to me – of clarity and wisdom and quiet assurance and knowing.