Elder of Earth (King of Pentacles)

in Art, Gaian Tarot

Elderofearth

Well, here she is, the 78th card.

Whew!

I’m so glad to end the deck on such a positive, high note.  (It’s not the true end, of course; I’m still going to completely redo the 5 of Water, and revise a few other cards).  But this is still a kind of completion. And how perfect to end with One who mastered the art of manifestation in the physical world.

A woman sits in her lush autumnal garden, spinning wool into yarn that will eventually become sweaters, scarves and hats for the winter to come.

Sister Deer comes to visit and munch on the windfall apples, but pauses to gaze at the viewer, as if to say: And what are you doing in my back yard?

As we gaze as the Elder of Earth, we are reminded of the Three Fates:  She Who Spins, She Who Weaves, and She Who Cuts the thread of life. She will play each of those roles in turn, but as for today, she spins.

And what does the Elder of Earth say to you, dear Readers?

• Beth Owl's Daughter Sat - Sep 26th 2009 12:56 pm

Oh wow, wow, wow!! What a fantastic way to finish! I love this card! I have so many witchy friends who are spinners and weavers, they are going to FLIP over this.. And they are all some of the truest Earth Elders I know.
    This is just so magically perfect, I have goosebumps.
    Congratulations, Joanna! You’ve done it!
    Here’s to you! Virtual champagne – ::clink!::
    Love,
    Beth

• Danielle Sat - Sep 26th 2009 12:57 pm

wow, what a beautiful card! I can imagine just walking right into this card and spinning yarn right along with her! I like the prominence of the spindle itself in the card, it reminds me of The Wheel.
    I can’t believe it’s the last card! That must feel really good to see something you have worked on for so long to come to completion. Congratulations!

• Celestite Sat - Sep 26th 2009 1:34 pm

Congratulations on finishing this extraordinary deck!
    It’s on my wish list.

• Goddess Leonie Sat - Sep 26th 2009 7:19 pm

Oh this is completely, utterly beautiful and perfect. Congratulations, dearest soul!

• Betsy Sauther Sat - Sep 26th 2009 8:09 pm

Nice energy, very light and easy… Congrats!!!

• judy Sat - Sep 26th 2009 10:56 pm

the joy of creating with your own two hands.
    …which, come to think of it, is what you are probably experiencing right now!

• Angelica Sat - Sep 26th 2009 11:31 pm

This card is wonderful — I see a happy woman — happy with herself (perfectly natural – no dyed hair) – Happy with her surroundings (at such peace a deer comes to visit) and happy being creative!
    Thank YOU Joanna!!

• Cate (kerrdelune) Sun - Sep 27th 2009 4:22 am

The Elder of Earth is magnificent, and a spinner (or weaver) is the perfect choice for the elder of this suit! I also love the setting for the card – the orchard in fruit, wheel barrow, late summer blooms and onlooking deer.
    The spinner is spinning out her days in contentment and gentle harmony, free and wild, yet rooted. She is happy within herself and at peace with her place within the world. She is a passionate advocate for Mother Earth and all the Mother’s creations, and she is fierce and fearless in her commitment.
    I’ve long identified with what are usually called the Pentacles, and watching your Gaian suit of Earth take shape has been a joyful experience. Thank you, Sister Joanna and bright blessings to you.

• Anna Sun - Sep 27th 2009 4:56 am

Glasses! I dont think I ever seen a tarotcard where someone were wearing glasses! It distracted me for a wee bit, But then I saw this wonderful confident woman who loved to keep things come to life between her fingers.

• Hecate, Runnymead Conspirator Sun - Sep 27th 2009 7:48 am

Congratulations! She’s lovely! A more active version of the Empress card in some ways.

• joanna Sun - Sep 27th 2009 9:52 am

Thank you thank you thank you! 🙂 Hecate, I agree that she is very much like the Empress, or what we usually think of as the Queen of Pents. Actively spinning out harvest, abundance, and good health. Anna, the World Spirit Tarot shows a few folks wearing glasses – I thought about taking her glasses off but decided to leave them, as I think they add to her persona as an Elder. Cate, I so love what you have written here! Danielle – yes, the Wheel! This card definitely echoes the Wheel.
    I am feeling incredibly blessed this morning. Hugs all around.
    More comments to be found on Facebook:

• moiraeknittoo Sun - Sep 27th 2009 11:06 am

Yay for wheels with a right handed flyer! Taking the raw ‘stuff’ that’s been nurtured and cared for and transmuting it into something new, which while a finished product is also the base for building something exciting and new, renewing the cycle once more. LOVE this card!

• Nelly Sun - Sep 27th 2009 11:30 am

Love, love, LOVE! I’m not always particularly drawn to earth cards, but this one is fantastic 🙂 I want to be her someday…although I think I’ll have to change to a blue shawl, orange is not so much my deal ;P

• Carolyn Cushing Mon - Sep 28th 2009 7:18 am

So beautiful and so appropriate to end your deck creating with the harvest of Fall and the Wheel! I think I wrote you that while I have been so looking forward to seeing all of the cards, this all feels like finishing a good book that you don’t want to give up reading. And I guess, when we are able to get our hot little hands on the deck, we will be able to read with it over and over again in so many beautiful variations. The Wheel will never stop spinning. Congrats!

• Colleen Mon - Sep 28th 2009 7:52 am

Congratulations on a great accomplishment and a rich and beautiful work of art. I have enjoyed watching it come to life and will enjoy watching it shape shift and reveal itself anew in working with deck in the future. What a fabulous image to end with – it is endings and new beginnings all at once. I also love that she is engaged in a task that requires patience and a respect for time and the rhythms of the earth just as your artwork has these past nine years.

• Cynthia Mon - Sep 28th 2009 9:13 am

That the Empress ages gracefully and that this time of life is beautiful and joyful.

• Pete Mon - Sep 28th 2009 5:38 pm

Truly a fantastic card to finish with. And I love the deer! Major congratulations!

• Laura Tue - Sep 29th 2009 1:13 am

I’m so glad to see the 78th card! Many, many congratulations.
    Also, as a spinner, I LOVE this one!

• joanna Wed - Sep 30th 2009 6:21 am

Oh lovely !! There are so many spinners coming out of the woodwork on this one! 🙂 I had no idea so many of you spinned. It’s such a rich, archetypal thing to do, as well as such a grounded one. 🙂 Cynthia, love what you say about the Empress aging gracefully. Hugs to all.

• Ananda Thu - Oct 01st 2009 8:54 am

“she who cuts the thread of life” … I think of the umbilical cord.

• patricia boutilier Tue - Oct 06th 2009 7:45 am

This beautiful card has been floating in my life and dreams since you posted it. For me it is very much connected to a woman in central Florida, a paraplegic who spins Spanish moss—this card is about strength, resiliency, fortitude….http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/article968162.ece

• Linda Daly Wed - Oct 14th 2009 1:11 pm

This deck is so beautiful and meaningful. It is worth nine years in the making! Are you going to change the image of the five of water? I love it as it is with the boats quiet on the water and the woman sitting there in one of the boats. But I have always felt drawn to this particular card whatever the deck it is in. Of course your deck is now my favorite deck!