The Hermit – Gaian Tarot Card of the Week

in Art, Nature, Place, Tarot

Hermit What do we most need to know for the coming week?

The Hermit

I usually think of this card as reflecting the need to withdraw from the world for awhile, to commune with Mama Gaia and fill one’s inner well.  I did that this past weekend when I stayed with my mermaid sister Nora on the island we both love so well.  I had forgotten the quality of silence out there.  It’s not terribly noisy where I live now, but there are more cars and homes and neighbors than there are on the island.  More than the thick morning fog, more than the sunset and moonlight on the water, more than the eagle and heron flying overhead and the goldfinches at the feeder, more than the stacks of stones at the beach and the scarlet-colored jellyfish coming so close to shore — it was the quality of silence that held my attention this past weekend.

I think the Hermit is challenging me to bring that quality of stillness and silence into my work this coming week.

What does the card say to you, dear Readers?

• Hecate, Runnymead Conspirator Mon - Aug 31st 2009 3:17 pm

Years and years and, well, years ago. My work took me out to LA. One weekend, I drove up into the v dry San Gabriel Mountains. And, finally, I learned what true silence really was. There were no cars or birds or bugs or distant sounds or anything. There was only complete and sacred silence. I sat on a rock and drew as deep a draught as I could, for as long as I could. It has sustained me for a long, long, time. If I ever get a chance, I’m going back up into those silent mountains and I’m not leaving until they drag me our or I slip the veils. What a gift.
    Your card is lovely, although I do long for a female hermit.

• Julie Mon - Aug 31st 2009 5:09 pm

This card is an odd one for me, since in less than two hours, my boyfriend is going to be returning from a season of fighting forest fires. I haven’t seen him since May. Of all cards, I’d think the Lovers would be most appropriate.
    But as I think further, I think this card is challenging me not to forget that I can be autonomous, that I don’t need to be clingy, that I have a life aside from my boyfriend, no matter how much I’ve missed him. It’s reminding me that I need to give him space and also take space for myself.
    And that’s a useful thing to remember when I’m obsessively reloading the flight tracker page.

• Goddess Leonie | Goddess Guidebook Mon - Aug 31st 2009 5:52 pm

I absolutely adore when this card appears… it always reminds me to stay centred and focussed on what I want to create and experience 🙂

• joanna Tue - Sep 01st 2009 7:01 am

Lovely comments, thank you! Hecate, I hear you about a female Hermit. That was a tough call for me to make. But in the end, I’m very fond of Strength as the solar, yang female (playing somewhat against stereotypes) and the Hermit as the lunar, yin male – again, playing against stereotypes.
    Julie, I think there’s wisdom in every card for every situation, even if it doesn’t seem like it at first. You’ve done a good job of finding the Hermit’s message for you!
    Thank you, lovely Leonie.

• Hecate, Runnymead Conspirator Tue - Sep 01st 2009 4:14 pm

And that makes perfect sense.
    As an INTJ, I’ve always found the notion of a hermit, esp. a hermit w books and internet, (!) v attractive.

• Anna Tue - Sep 01st 2009 10:41 pm

I got some odd inspiration from this card today that really did not have anything with withdrawal to do! But more about stillness I guess. Years and years ago before things started to change for us I remember a quiet evening with me and two covenfreinds after a ritual. We sat all scattered in the room where the rituak had been held and said nothing to each other. Each and everyone absorbed in their own thoughts. And that was OK! I realised then that we had become close freinds so that we no longer had to speak to enjoy each others company! Aaaah! Those were the days!

• Iritar Mon - Sep 07th 2009 1:21 pm

First off. I like that art on the card! Secondly, the Hermit reminds me that it is importantly to constantly seek insight into ourselves as well as the world. The more we listen, the more we grow.