Sneak Preview – Tarot Amulets!

in Art, Tarot

Joannamagician1

(Click on the images to see larger versions.)

I’ve been dreaming and designing one-of-a-kind Tarot amulets since this time last year.  It took me several months of on-again, off-again work on techniques and prototypes to come up with something that I really, really like — but I’m so pleased with the final results.

Each amulet is one-of-a-kind, handmade and signed by me, and carries the energy of a particular Tarot card. I condensed the spirit of each card down into one simple word.  For example, the Magician says “Magic,” the High Priestess “Listen” and the Fool, “Leap.”  The amulets are made of polymer clay, gold leaf, sparkly mica powder and archival prints of Rider-Waite-Smith images. (I’ll make some amulets with Gaian Tarot prints eventually but right now I’m honoring St. Pixie – Pamela Colman Smith.)

The beautiful beaded necklaces are designed and made by Lunaea Weatherstone, who is taking a break from making her wondrous Goddess rosaries to help me out.

Joanna2 We are both working hard to finish up a batch of Tarot amulet necklaces that I will take to sell at my vending table at the Readers Studio at the end of the month.  (Each necklace sells for $75.00.)  When I return, I’ll put some up on my site to sell too.   Please let me know if you have a favorite Tarot card that you’d like to see made into an amulet necklace.

Happy Ostara!

(PS  I hear registration for the Readers Studio closes on Friday, April 17th. If you haven’t signed up yet, please consider joining us!)

• Robin Sat - Apr 11th 2009 12:50 pm

These are so beautiful! Wonderful work, ladies! And hurrah St. Pixie 😉

• Rita Sat - Apr 11th 2009 5:23 pm

Dear Joanna, i’ve made a question to the oracle at your homepage, as challenge it came out the card Lightning. I wanted to say that i felted so refreshing that you named Lighting to the card Tower. My question was about some feelings of mine that sometimes scare me. When feelings are very intense i get afraid, even if it’s joy. I know it seems od, but that’s me 🙂 and today i’ve discovered something so wonderful: the popular french expression “coup de foudre” (love at first sight)also means lightning. I think is so true: even love can come as this strange force that completly changes our lifes and i can make us panic. Why do we fear change?
    when you named Lighting to this card i think it has it all expressed: change, energy, light. And you talk about it in such a positive way. You have such a simple and special way to comunicate.
    With peace wishes and may your creativity always blossom.
    Rita
    p.s- i’ve wrote my comment here because i have not found any other proper place to comment the card “Lightning”. I also want to appologize for any english mistakes i’ve made (it’s not my language).

• Kim Sat - Apr 11th 2009 6:25 pm

Really lovely! Congratulations!

• Goddess Leonie | GoddessGuidebook.com Sat - Apr 11th 2009 7:39 pm

Oh my! These are so, so divine dearest Joanna. I LOVE that you are making these!

• Lunaea Sat - Apr 11th 2009 10:35 pm

These amulets are sooo pretty in person — the gold leaf Joanna used makes them seem to come alive, and the energy is very magical. They are a pleasure to work with as I merrily bead away!

• Carol Sun - Apr 12th 2009 12:15 am

These look lovely Joanna and how affirmative Lunea has taken a break from her creative work to assist you in this aspect of yours! For sure I’ll be ordering one later – Empress I think.

• Chele Sun - Apr 12th 2009 9:50 pm

Those are fantastic!! Oh wow oh wow!! Maybe I will have to pull a tarot card to decide which energy I need most!

• Karen Mon - Apr 13th 2009 8:54 am

these are just wonderful – and you and Lunaea working on them together what special creative energy they must carry.
    I already know which one I would love to have.. High Priestess..LISTEN.. really speaks to where I am and need to be for awhile. I got a feeling when I saw it and then what it said just sealed the deal.
    Peace and Blessings,
    Karen

• Gina aka SleepyEyes Mon - Apr 13th 2009 1:30 pm

So gorgeous! When you do make them with your own deck, I’d love to see the Temperance card as a tarot amulet. That’s my favorite card. Also, I’d love to see the Child of Earth as an amulet, too.
    What a great idea!

• joanna Tue - Apr 14th 2009 8:03 am

Rita, thanks so much for your insight into the Tower card. Love it!
    Thanks everyone for the amulet ideas. Wish I could spend all day on them! But making a couple every day seems to work well.
    More soon!

• Matthew | Polaris Rising Thu - May 07th 2009 8:52 am

Hi! Nice blog and thanks for the meetup hello.
    Beautiful necklace!

• Mothers Birthstone Necklace Sun - May 02nd 2010 8:57 am

This is exquisite stuff. Love the amulet necklace.