Good Morning, Lake!

in Family, Nature, Place

Lakechelanmorning

I'm here at Lake Chelan with the Olson clan (Craig's family, 3 generations). Since the family is scattered east and west of the Cascades and some down in Oregon, meeting midway is a good choice.  My sister-in-law rented a "villa" for us — pretty swanky! With 12 people splitting the costs, it's actually affordable.  This is the view from my bedroom deck.

The golfers are already up and gone this morning, leaving four of us here to soak up the morning stillness.  Actually I'm the only one up, drinking in the unfamiliar sights and scents of the East Side of the Mountains.  Quail, Sagebrush, Pondersosa Pine.  A raptor just fly by, with a call similar to an eagle — but it wasn't an eagle or a turkey vulture or a hawk.  I suspect it was a peregrine falcon because of its white breast and its size but I'm not sure if peregrine falcons live here.  So I need to dig out my Natural History book to figure out what it was.  It was an Osprey.  Of course!  I shoulda known that.  My raptor-identifying skills are clearly a bit rusty.   Thanks to eastern Washington denizen Colleen for the correct identification (see her comment below).

Craig and his nephew are planning to go parasailing today after golf.  Me, I'm looking forward to a day of being warm, relaxing, swimming in the infinity pool (photos to come), reading and writing.  Blessed be.

• Colleen Fri - Sep 12th 2008 9:14 am

Sounds like heaven!
    Enjoy family time and lake time. I’ll bet the bird you saw was an Osprey.

• joanna Fri - Sep 12th 2008 9:16 am

Osprey! Bingo! Thank you Colleen, that’s exactly what it was.

• Julie in Virginia Fri - Sep 12th 2008 9:32 am

Our family visited Lake Chelan about ten years ago. We loved it!
    Enjoy your retreat on the east side of the mountains.

• Sue Schauer Fri - Sep 12th 2008 9:39 am

LOL!!!! I was just about to comment that you likely saw an Osprey when I discovered Colleen had beat me to the punch! Though not altogether uncommon here, I haven’t seen an Osprey for a couple of months. Aren’t they breathtaking?! We have been enjoying the company of a Great Blue Heron who has found a good fishing spot on our property. They are very common at the reservoir very close to our home but, still, it has been great having one out back!
    Joanna, your current setting is idyllic! What a magical place to connect with loved ones! Do enjoy your reunion!

• Shell Fri - Sep 12th 2008 9:50 am

The view is breathtaking.

• Danielle Fri - Sep 12th 2008 11:02 am

Wow, it sounds like you are having a wonderful time. It certainly is beautiful. Enjoy!
    PS – What’s an infinity pool?

• joanna Sat - Sep 13th 2008 10:40 am

Thank you Julie, Sue, Shell and Danielle. An “infinity pool” looks like it just drops off into the lake . . . it is incredibly beautiful and the water is silky soft. I posted a photo on Twitpic: http://twitpic.com/becq I’m usually not impressed with super-expensive things but I told Craig “I want a pool like that when I grow up!” 😉 Sue, you know how much I love herons, how wonderful you have one visiting you so close to home. Hope I see another osprey today!

• Nairn Sun - Sep 14th 2008 10:57 am

As an added bit of lore, those who follow Northern Traditions see the Osprey as sacred to the Goddess Frigga.
    (See the section “Lady of the House” here: