Nine of Earth (9 of Pentacles)

in Uncategorized

9ofEarth

I have identified with the 9 of Pentacles for many years as “my” card.  I think a lot of women who have worked hard to reach a place of accomplishment and comfort identify with this card.  We’re at the peak of our creative powers, we have money in the bank, we’re tied to family & community and yet have time to be alone for our creative work and spiritual practice.  A time of peace and plenty, which is internal as well as external.  (And yes, of course, it is a self-portrait!)

A woman stands in the midst of a lavender field in full bloom on a sacred island where she has put down roots and made her home.  She’s reached a time in her life when she is fulfilled, content and at peace with her home and her creative work.  Even when she spends time in sacred solitude, she is inextricably part of a community that includes the people, plants and animals who call this Place home.  Sister Heron flies overhead, a sign to her of the presence of the Divine in her life.

• Elaine Mon - Sep 01st 2008 9:02 pm

Oh Joanna,
    So, beautiful!!!

• Lunaea Mon - Sep 01st 2008 9:02 pm

What a lovely affirmation of all your blessings! It’s a visual prayer of gratefulness!

• Julia Tue - Sep 02nd 2008 2:16 am

Oh my…that’s just stunning! The lavender field is so beautiful & the self portrait…perfectly gorgeous!!:)

• Jani Tue - Sep 02nd 2008 4:12 am

Wonderful – a beautiful picture of a beautiful woman. I can smell the lavender…

• Julie in Virginia Tue - Sep 02nd 2008 5:06 am

What a perfect addition to the deck. I am so glad that you are at a place in your life where you can say “Here I am” and share yourself in such a loving and lovely way.
    I’m not there yet Sister Joanna Mermaid – but I am following the cairns that you leave behind.

• Nora Tue - Sep 02nd 2008 7:03 am

a perfect affirmation of a perfect day in glorious life…it’s just divine. So nice to see YOU in the Gaian Tarot.

• Ellen-Mary Tue - Sep 02nd 2008 8:22 am

Wow, Joanna! You are the perfect subject for the nine of Earth. Lovely as always.

• Gina aka SleepyEyes Tue - Sep 02nd 2008 8:43 am

Exquisite! And very fitting. I love this card ; )

• Carolyn Tue - Sep 02nd 2008 10:59 am

Greetings, Joanna!
    How lovely to see you in the deck! Both of the cards where you appear are wonderful; the 9 of Water took my breath away.
    Be well,
    Carolyn

• Rue Tue - Sep 02nd 2008 11:04 am

Joanna–it is truly a beautiful card, reflecting your beautiful soul.
    Love, Rue

• JulieZS Tue - Sep 02nd 2008 1:29 pm

Radiant Loveliness! I’m so thrilled to see this self portrait Joanna, really really great work.

• Shell Tue - Sep 02nd 2008 5:07 pm

I’m so glad you put yourself in your deck. Lovely picture. Nine of Pentacles is one of my favorite cards.

• Goddess Leonie Tue - Sep 02nd 2008 5:23 pm

joanna, this is absolutely exquisite…
    it takes my breath away…
    i just wanted to say THANK YOU…
    it is absolutely a gift to see your images.
    and i am so looking forward to purchasing your completed deck! (what’s the ETF for them? i’m so excited!)

• Hecate, Runnymead Conspirator Tue - Sep 02nd 2008 5:56 pm

Oh, wow! Nine of Pents was “my card” for many many years. I love this. It avoids the sort of sad, closed off from the world sense that you get from the rider waite. I love that it’s your self-portrait. A victory!

• Melissa Tue - Sep 02nd 2008 6:36 pm

So beautiful, Joanna! It really must have felt like an affirmation of your precious life and loving self-acceptance to so carefully reflect upon and give yourself this gift (not to mention us!). I, like so many others, can hardley wait for the full deck to be ready!

• Francine Tue - Sep 02nd 2008 10:22 pm

Bravo Joanna! How wonderful, how perfect, how absolutely divine! You have set your personal stamp so indelibly on this deck, and now you have made it even more gloriously manifest! Fait accompli!!!

• Beth Owl's Daughter Wed - Sep 03rd 2008 5:11 am

I have tears in my eyes.. This is just radiant. Thank you for the deep, beautiful ways you have shared yourself with this, dear one.

• joanna Wed - Sep 03rd 2008 8:13 am

Thanks, all of you! I’m so grateful that you love this card. It’s special to me (obviously). The photo was taken about 3 years ago in the lavender field at the farm up the hill from my island house. As Nora says, it was a beautiful day (she was there). My sweetie took the photo I used as a reference, so I’ve got that “ah, that’s my honey” look on my face too. 🙂
    Julie in Virginia — I love the idea of you “following the cairns.”
    Lunaea – a “visual prayer of gratefulness” – awesome! Had not thought of it that way.
    Leonie – I expect to finish the final 8 cards within the next two months. But I’ll be submitting my proposal to publishers this month. More on that in the next newsletter (are you a subscriber?)
    Shell & Hecate – two more 9 of Pents women! I’m not surprised. Yes I consciously chose not to put a garden wall in there. Wanted it more expansive.
    Melissa, Beth, Francine, Julie, Rue, Carolyn, Gina, Ellen-Mary, Jani, Julia, Elaine — some of you my friends in the flesh, some of you my virtual friends — thank you all!

• Debbie the Tarot Broad Wed - Sep 03rd 2008 1:21 pm

Oh my goodness Joanna, this card is just amazingly beautiful!! It is now officially my favorite 9 of Pentacles. And I love how the description combines both the solitude the woman needs and her connection to the larger community.

• joanna Wed - Sep 03rd 2008 9:20 pm

Debbie! I love the new name of your blog. It’s so . . . *you*! And I’m so glad this is your new offical fave 9 of Pents. Thanks.

• heartfeltdruid Thu - Sep 04th 2008 9:22 am

Wow Joanna this is a beautiful card and I feel so connected to it because of the great blue heron (GBH) flying above. The GBH has always been around me guiding me no matter where I go. Whenever I see it in the sky or reflecting and watching the water in a pond I feel blessed and comforted. When I recently moved from New York to Massachusetts a GBH flew down and circled, the moving van I was driving, slowly 3 times as I began my journey and I felt so grateful that the scary new life I was heading into was blessed in this way.

• heartfeltdruid Thu - Sep 04th 2008 10:05 am

Forgot to mention, in my last post, that the meaning of the card, for me, because of the heron in flight in the upper corner, includes this hint that the place where the woman currently stands on her journey, though fulfilling and wonderful, is not the end point of the journey… that there will be more beyond this point.

• Laura Thu - Sep 04th 2008 2:03 pm

Oh, lovely! Seeing this image made me clap my hands with joy. I love that you are one of the images in your deck, and I love that it’s a card that feels like you.
    As I said before, your Seven of Earth card is me, even if I’m not the model, and even though I haven’t actually planted a red cedar sapling (yet). That’s based almost entirely on the image on the card, but as I’m currently waiting to hear if I get into grad school or not, the meaning of card seems appropriate too.

• Pilar Thu - Sep 04th 2008 11:25 pm

Oh, lovely!!! I am so glad you’ve included a self portrait in the deck. So wonderful!

• Colleen Fri - Sep 05th 2008 9:09 am

This breathtaking. Actually the first word that came to mind for me was radiant and I can see others thought the same. In a way, I can still see it as a walled garden, but it’s Mama Gaia’s garden and a wall of her making – the Cascades on one side, the Olympics on the other and a lovely necklace of the San Juans closer around you. For me, that puts the ideas of achievement and solitude on a completely different scale.

• joanna Fri - Sep 05th 2008 9:10 am

heartfeltdruid, I’m glad to find someone else so connected to Great Blue Herons. GBH first became special to me when I started visiting the island twelve or so years ago, and I would see them everywhere. We ended up naming our house, Heron House, because we would see them every day. I love your stories of how Heron comes to bless you, because I have countless stories that are similar. I also love your “reading” of the GBH in the card as pointing to yet another spin on the spiral of life.
    Laura, thanks so much! And I do think the woman in the 7 of Earth looks like you even though the model was my island friend Wanda. You’re younger, though. 🙂 But I get it that the energy of the card is most definitely “you,” like the 9 of Pents is me (and lots of other women too).
    Pilar, thank you!

• joanna Fri - Sep 05th 2008 9:14 am

Colleen, what a lovely comment. I love it that you know the landscape surrounding the card and see it as the “wall.” Ah. Love it. Are you local? Do you live around here?

• James Wells Fri - Sep 05th 2008 8:29 pm

Holy Mother of Horus, this is stunning! I’ve stood in that same lavender field with you, Joanna, and I can almost smell the scents of the island with you chatting beside me. The 9P is one of my favourite cards in many decks too, so I’m very happy to see you immortalised in this pack’s version of it.

• joanna Sat - Sep 06th 2008 7:46 am

James, LOL! Love that epithet. So glad you have such good memories of the island.

• Kim Mon - Sep 08th 2008 8:49 pm

Hi, Joanna! I sent you a comment days ago, but it must have gotten lost in the ether so I get to say it again: Wonderful! This is sooo beautiful. You are so beautiful. How wonderful it must be to see yourself so beautiful and to be able to articulate that beauty on canvas. It is such a gift. I love this painting. I love you too!
    Hugs,
    Kim

• TarotByArwen Tue - Sep 09th 2008 6:19 am

I’ve been so self-absorbed lately that I missed this gorgeous card. The 9 of P’s is one of my faves as well. I call it my target card–what I’m heading for. And the blue heron is one of my markers as well. It always brings a message for me (has since I was a young girl) so this card is amazing to me.
    I love how she seems to be transforming into the lavender itself. Her robe mists into lavender and back again. Her feet can’t be seen because her roots go that deep into the moment of where she is.
    What a beautiful expression of the 9 of Earth, Joanna!

• Sally In Ontario Tue - Sep 09th 2008 6:54 am

Joanna
    I work daily with your Major deck and this Nine of Earth with your presence makes me even more anxious to hold the rest of the family, the Minors within my hands.
    Your creations bring such warmth and insight to me in my readings.

• patricia boutilier Tue - Sep 09th 2008 7:11 am

Joanna–today’s poem from the Writer’s Almanac is perfect for your 9 of Earth….
    I Planned to Have a Border of Lavender
    I planned to have a border of lavender
    but planted the bank too of lavender
    and now my whole crazy garden
    is grown in lavender
    it smells so sharp heady and musky
    of lavender, and the hue of only
    lavender is all my garden up
    into the gray rocks.
    When forth I go from here the heedless lust
    I squander—and in vain for I am stupid
    and miss the moment—it has blest me silly
    when forth I go
    and when, sitting as gray as these gray rocks
    among the lavender, I breathe the lavender’s
    tireless squandering, I liken it
    to my silly lusting,
    I liken my silly indefatigable
    lusting to the lavender which has grown over
    all my garden, banks and borders, up
    into the gray rocks
    Paul Goodman

• Chele Tue - Sep 09th 2008 10:22 am

This is very poignant. I’m thinking of you today. Beautiful Nines!!

• joanna Tue - Sep 09th 2008 9:34 pm

Sister Kim Mermaid, thanks so much! I miss your daily presence on your blog although I know it’s probably a good thing that you are taking time away. So glad you like this piece.
    Arwen, you always have some great insight into these cards to share. Thank you for seeing things I don’t see.
    Sally, thank you! I remember reading for you at the Readers Studio. I hope all is going well with your big project.
    Patricia, what a fabulous poem – thanks so much!
    And Chele, thank you too. See you at the MeetUp tomorrow night.

• kerrdelune (Cate) Wed - Sep 10th 2008 9:13 am

Joanne, this may be my favorite card of all, and the “Nine of Earth” is just where I would have pictured you, radiant in the lavender. Heron lover that I am, I was also very happy to see that magnificent blue bird winging her way across the card. I should note here that the Nine of Pentacles has always been my own best loved card.

• TarotByArwen Wed - Sep 10th 2008 9:16 am

Joanna, you realize that I MUST have this deck right? 🙂 That I will come camp out on your porch the moment I hear the decks might be available? It speaks to me on so many levels. I’ll probably have to get two since one will be my reading deck, I’m sure. 🙂