8 of Earth, 8 of Pentacles

in Art, Gaian Tarot

8ofearth

Like a master craftsman and his apprentice, a father teaches his young daughter to drum. He is a mentor and role model to her, and the devotion between them seals the lessons of rhythm and tempo.

The test of this Eight speaks to the long apprenticeship that is sometimes required when we work to manifest our vision in the world. We must learn our craft and practice it diligently, reaching a high level of skill, before we can walk the path of right livelihood.

• TarotByArwen Wed - Jul 16th 2008 9:56 pm

:soft sigh: This is so fabulous to convey the teaching/sharing aspect of this. And my question will be always… who’s teaching whom here? Because the exchange of knowledge is on so many levels here!

• Lunaea Thu - Jul 17th 2008 12:49 am

Something about the girl’s attitude is very much like you, Joanna — a little unconscious (or maybe conscious?) homage to your own father, perhaps. Lovely.

• Inanna Thu - Jul 17th 2008 5:31 am

How beautiful! This looks like it could take place in upstate New York between Lughnasadh and Mabon.

• Inanna Thu - Jul 17th 2008 7:07 am

Joanna, I sent the link to Adonis, and he wrote back to say, “Ooo, I want to learn to drum so I can teach [our kid].”
    [We both studied the djembe many summers ago, but we’re still beginners at best. I suppose we still have a few years till our (currently in utero) child is ready to learn.]

• Hecate Thu - Jul 17th 2008 8:33 am

Wow; lovely!

• Rue Thu - Jul 17th 2008 10:13 am

Joanna–so very beautiful. You have captured the very essence of love and devotion–a true reflection of the artist!! Love, Rue

• judy Thu - Jul 17th 2008 10:30 am

I often think about the ‘good-father’ archetype that I seek in this world(having missed out as a little girl). And there it is.. good-father/safe-daughter.. in your painting. I’m gonna go play my djembe and drum him up! Thanks, Joanna. with love,Judy

• Beth Owl's Daughter Thu - Jul 17th 2008 1:03 pm

Simply divine.

• Shell Thu - Jul 17th 2008 1:04 pm

I love this card with the father and the daughter. The eight of pentacles is one of my fave cards in Tarot. I can’t wait till the whole deck is available

• joanna Thu - Jul 17th 2008 3:33 pm

Thanks Arwen! I agree, who IS the teacher and who the student?
    Lunaea, you are right of course . . . I think it was unconscious, but now that you mention it I do see me and my Pop. Of course that father-daughter love is also present with my friends who modeled, which is why I asked them to do it.
    Inanna, of course Adonis should learn to drum, if only to teach the little one! I love it that the landscape looks like upstate New York, but I took the reference photo up the hill from Heron House on the island where I used to live.
    Hecate, glad you like it!
    Rue, I love the idea of love and devotion being integral to our sacred work.
    Judy, so glad this works as a positive father-daughter archetype for you, to know that it IS possible.
    Thanks and hugs, Beth!
    And Shell, thanks for your continued cheering and support. (You have a great face, BTW, and I wish I could have used you as one of my models!)

• Kim Thu - Jul 17th 2008 4:50 pm

This is so wonderful, Joanna. So evocative!