8 of Water, 8 of Cups

in Art, Gaian Tarot

8-water

Just finished the 8 of Water . . .

A woman swims upstream in a river, intent on reaching her destination.  She is taking action to live her dream and to live authentically, even though at times it is very difficult to go against the current.  This current may symbolize an outmoded way of doing things that no longer serves her.  Or it may represent mainstream, “accepted” values and standards, and  she is drawn to live her life in a more unique way.  As a water card, there are many emotions involved here. There may be times when she feels like she’s in over her head, when she wants to turn around and let the current take her swiftly and easily downstream. But then she’ll just have to pick herself up and head upstream again, after having lost a lot of ground.

“Stay true to yourself,” the River whispers.  “Keep to your course ‘til you make landfall.”

• Lunaea Sun - Jul 06th 2008 5:03 pm

Interesting interpretations! As always! And the drawing is so tangible — almost photographic. I want to go swimming! (And I’ll bet your own swimming lately influenced it too! 🙂

• TarotByArwen Sun - Jul 06th 2008 7:53 pm

I love that she is swimming against the current away from the past. This card for me neeeeeeeds (me me me) to represent getting away from old baggage on some level. SO! I’m going to use those rocks as old crud I need to get away from. I’m going to make myself that swimmer (is that the same woman from the Guardian of Water?) and plunge into the watery depths of my emotions and SWIM THE HECK AWAY.
    Love this image a lot in case that didn’t come through. And I might be a Pisces. snort

• Rue Sun - Jul 06th 2008 8:11 pm

Joanna–the card is so beautiful! I love the swimming against the current and yet she looks so calm in her intent!! Thank you for sharing your journey!! Love, Rue

• Julie in Virginia Mon - Jul 07th 2008 4:13 am

Another inspiring card.
    I just spent the week with a friend. Your Three of Earth hangs in her kitchen – blessing the work we do preserving the bounty of summer.
    I know you know this Joanna – but your work is already out in the world, creating magic, healing, and transformation.
    And for that I am grateful.

• Carol Mon - Jul 07th 2008 5:55 am

I love the description of this card Joanna and, as another reader said, it speaks to me about my situation and experience.. The image is hopeful and, the subject looks very determined and yet confident in her ability to reach her goal – she doesn’t look stressed – looks like she is going with the flow despite swimming against the current.

• joanna Mon - Jul 07th 2008 7:11 am

Thank you all. I always learn so much from hearing your interpretations of these cards. Arwen, getting away from old baggage — perfect. No, she’s not the same woman as the Guardian of Water although I see the similarity. Rue, Lunaea, Julie, Carol — so glad you like it. Julie, I like thinking about the 3 of Earth gracing your friend’s kitchen as you work there with the summer harvest.

• Shell Mon - Jul 07th 2008 10:57 am

I love the fact that she is almost swimming out of card. As if she is going to jump into our reality.

• Angelica Mon - Jul 07th 2008 12:42 pm

I love the determination on her face …. it isn’t anger induced, but a peaceful intention … with a knowingness that she will get there!
    And like others, I can almost feel that water!!
    Yea Summer!

• Elaine Mon - Jul 07th 2008 4:08 pm

Wonderful, very powerful forward movement with this image!!

• Hecate Demetersdatter, Runnymeade Conspirator Mon - Jul 07th 2008 4:11 pm

Amazing interpretation of this card.

• Ketzirah Wed - Jul 09th 2008 6:21 am

Joanna
    Just amazing again. And so appropriate to how I’m feeling today. Thanks for your work. Can’t wait until you’ve finished the deck — but I’m really enjoying experiencing this journey along with you and the rest of your readers.

• SaraMorgaine Wed - Jul 09th 2008 11:11 am

I just adore this card and its interpretation. Seeing & reading this was *very* timely for me…I needed that message. 🙂

• James Wells Sun - Jul 13th 2008 1:56 pm

Who knew that determination could look/feel so refreshing? Great card, Joanna! May you know refreshement in every way.

• Elizabeth Genco Mon - Aug 11th 2008 12:18 am

I still want to buy one! Please do let me know when the Paypal links are live. 🙂
    You must be getting so close to finished, now. I’m so thrilled for you!