Seven of Fire (Wands)

in Art, Gaian Tarot

7offireFinally!   This poor piece languished on my drawing table throughout the winter holiday season and again while I travelled to Maine.   Rather than thinking of it as neglected, I prefer to think of it as having aged, like fine wine.   I spent the last two days tweaking the background, focusing on the skin tones and most especially the face.  This jpg is a little bit lighter than the original;  the darker shadows provide more contrast to the bright fire in the background and the glowing tip of the metal rod.

Thanks to my fabulous model Heidi, who didn’t have to do anything but just be herself, and my fabulous photographer friend, Paul.  What would we do without community?

I wrote a bit about my vision of the Sevens here.   “In the Sevens, we set a new goal for ourselves, one that reflects our inner work (as opposed to a goal in the everyday world).  Sevens are numbers of initiation.”   Since fire is symbolic of personal power, creativity, energy and passion, I see the meaning of the Seven of Fire as: taking risks for personal growth, standing up for your authentic self, expressing your sense of self creatively, and trusting your own sense of personal power.

When I chose this photo out of the dozens of photos that Paul took of Heidi, the cliche’d phrase “strike while the iron is hot” leaped to mind.  Of course.  Don’t miss an opportunity when it presents itself, for that’s when transformation can occur.

• Mama Kelly Wed - Feb 13th 2008 11:15 am

Absolutely wonderful!!! I love your cards and can barely contain my exuberance over one day being able to hold them in my hands
    BB

• Janine Wed - Feb 13th 2008 11:40 am

Joanna – I love this card! (And so appropriate for where I feel I am
    headed:-) Strike when the iron is hot! I can almost feel the heat…
    This deck is going to be a favorite of mine…can’t wait to get my hands on it…!
    BB,
    Janine

• heidi Wed - Feb 13th 2008 8:11 pm

Joanna, that is wonderful! It was fun to do the shoot, anything for a you, after all
    I have a soft spot for Capricorns…
    xoxo

• Debbie from NYC Thu - Feb 14th 2008 7:42 am

Oh my goodness, this card is just amazing!!! I’ve had a soft spot for the 7 of Wands/Fire ever since I realized it often reflects my attitude in relationships thanks to one of Rachel Pollacks’ workshops (always on the defensive ;D). But this opens up a totally new perspective for me.
    Oh I can’t wait for this deck! (I know, I know you hear that all the time but it’s still true ;D)

• Pat in Yukon, Canada Thu - Feb 14th 2008 11:45 am

Serendipity lends a hand once again. You finished this one for Brighid’s season. How perfect to celebrate that special goddess of creativity and blacksmithing. Thank you!

• Mary from New Mexico Fri - Feb 15th 2008 11:04 am

Wow! These are beautiful – all of ’em!

• TygrEyes Sat - Feb 16th 2008 9:37 am

I’m short on time, but had to say I LOVE this card. It was well worth the wait. Thank you!

• Nancy Green Sat - Feb 16th 2008 6:36 pm

it’s lovely, and i want to buy your deck as soon as you have it finished. all your images are so beautiful, so healing and full of power.

• Nancy Green Sun - Feb 17th 2008 10:39 am

i had to post a review on kmareka.com because some of our readers would love your art.
    you can see it here-
    blessed be,
    nancy

• joanna Tue - Feb 19th 2008 9:13 am

Thanks everyone! So glad you are pleased with the image. Nancy, thank you for the awesome review on your Kmareka site. I appreciate it so much!

• JLB Tue - Feb 26th 2008 11:53 am

A powerful card Joanna – I especially connect with your thoughts and interpretations of the Sevens.

• Katherine Pfeiffer Wed - Jun 11th 2008 10:41 am

A most fabulous conception. This is a fine card for me at this time in my life – a time of change, apparently, and a time for me to bring forth the strength in this card!
    I continue, of course, as one of your adoring fans!
    Blessings,