The Six of Earth at the Farmers’ Market

in Art, Gaian Tarot

SixearthfinalThe Sixes are done!  Hooray!

The Six of Earth is another image of community, reciprocity and peak experience, this time within the earthy context of a farmers’ market.   Can you say “Local – Fresh – Organic!” ?   I listened to the audiobook of Animal Vegetable Miracle while working on this piece.   The image is based on a series of photos I took last September at the Port Townsend Farmers Market, as well as others photos I’d taken over the years at the island Saturday market.  A little bit of here, a little bit of there . . . don’t those carrots look yummy?

• Sylvan Fri - Aug 24th 2007 10:37 am

Oh, wow…just wow. I think the sixes may be my favorites of the Minors so far. They’ve all been absolutely gorgeous. I can’t wait to see Air!

• Angela Fri - Aug 24th 2007 11:45 am

With every image you post, I am more excited about the entire deck being published and starting to actually work with these cards. They are so incredibly beautiful and moving.

• Sylvan Fri - Aug 24th 2007 1:54 pm

Okay, I’m a dork. You posted Air already. I can’t brain today–I have the dumb. 🙂

• mama kelly Fri - Aug 24th 2007 3:06 pm

oh WOW … just WOW
    I cannot wait for this deck to come out. This is one of my favorite cards yet!
    Mama Kelly

• Ellen-Mary Fri - Aug 24th 2007 4:05 pm

That is beautiful!! I like it especially today since I just came home from the Farmer’s Market with squash, tomatoes, swiss chard, carrots and a bottle of wine. You capture it perfectly.
    Life is good.

• melanie Fri - Aug 24th 2007 4:13 pm

that looks divine!

• Hecate Demetersdatter, Runnymeade Conspirator Fri - Aug 24th 2007 7:01 pm

Just beautiful! We have wonderful farmers’ markets here in DC; mine is on Dupont Circle. This time of year, it’s an embarassment of riches. And, you’re right about its role in community. I buy apples from a farmer whose children I’ve watched grow up, blackberries from a farmer who always remembers how much I love them, peonies from a farmer who tells me stories about the artist who buys his peonies in tight buds so that he can sketch them as they unfold, spinach from a farmer who reminds me of the time she showed me how to use garlic scamps . . . .

• Waverly Sat - Aug 25th 2007 12:23 am

The Six of Earth is such a great representation of the energy around community and food.I love it. But I think my favorite of the Sixes is water. So sensuous, so spell-binding. CAn hardly wait to see the Sevens.

• joanna Mon - Aug 27th 2007 8:12 am

Thank you all for the comments! Dianne, glad you found the Six of Air. Hecate, I loved your story about the stories at the Farmers Market . . . exactly, that’s what community is about! You just don’t get that shopping at the supermarket, do you. A little conversation with my chard, please . . .
    Wave, I am planning to do the Guardians (Queens) next and then will circle back to the Sevens. Blessings all.

• James Wells Tue - Aug 28th 2007 8:37 am

I adore these two newest cards, Joanna. It was fun to see them in person. Thank you for the de-catifying of the house. You’re a delightful hostess and a hell of an artist. Big hugs!

• Lunaea Tue - Aug 28th 2007 1:50 pm

It’s so exciting to see these cards tumbling out so quickly now (I’ll bet it doesn’t feel all that quick to YOU). The deck clearly wants to be finished — probably almost as much as we all want it to be!

• JulieZS Wed - Aug 29th 2007 1:43 pm

Oh so beautiful. I love to see your progress on the deck Joanna. This card exactly personifies the joy at the local farmer’s market, that’s why we love going, right?!

• Scruffyhippo Sun - Sep 02nd 2007 1:37 pm

Brilliant; I have been following from way back and can see this is going to be a very special pack 🙂