5 of Air – 5 of Swords

in Art, Gaian Tarot

5ofairfinalI’m in the middle of creating the Five’s, those troublesome, conflict-ridden cards.  As always, I’m painting them in the order in which we cast a circle in the tradition I use:  Air, Fire, Water, and Earth.  Here’s the 5 of Air, traditionally the 5 of Swords.   We see five eagles screaming and fighting each other for territory.  (This image was inspired by a story Craig brought back from kayaking the west coast of Vancouver Island, BC a couple of years ago.  From his kayak a few hundred yards offshore, he watched in fascination as two eagles fought each other until one of them was dead.)

The divinatory meaning for this card is:  bitter words, arguments, gossip, slander, criticism;  hurtful communication, either given or received.

What do you think?

I should have the 5 of Fire posted in a few days.

• Heather Sun - May 13th 2007 1:00 pm

I love it. It communicates anger and conflict very well. I worked with a bald eagle once and she was the meanest animal I’ve ever met. Great choice.

• Charyn Mon - May 14th 2007 9:30 am

Very impressive! And what an impact they make! I feel they express the traditional 5 of swords much more effectively, the imagery is totally obvious. I love it!

• Laura Mon - May 14th 2007 12:39 pm

Awesome! It’s beautiful and full of strife at the same time!

• Inanna Tue - May 15th 2007 7:27 pm

Discord and noise, looking out for number one, being separate from and in conflict with others, a zero sum game.
    Very well conveyed.

• JulieZS Wed - May 16th 2007 8:42 am

Oh wow! That is such a powerful image. It really communicates the meaning of the card very clearly.

• JLB Wed - May 16th 2007 6:02 pm

I see more. I see the necessary give and pull of relationships, the inevitable conflicts which can help generate growth and resolution, and the need to learn to find a workable compromise with others, be it through cooperation and a joining of forces, or a simple respect of boundaries. Perhaps even “the enemy of my enemy is my friend.”
    I also see those things we are compelled towards despite the predictably intense after effects… like a moth to a flame, perhaps?
    It’s just gorgeous Joanna, like all the others. And what a power card!
    Also, did I happen to mention how elated I was with the fours? They are beyond awesome.
    Jade

• Joanna Thu - May 17th 2007 9:24 am

Thank you all — I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the feedback. I agree that there’s lots to see in this card — my sister DragonSong mentioned that she sees the front two eagles as gossiping about the conflict going on in the background. I think it will be a powerful card when it comes up in a reading. You might ask the querent: “Which eagle draws your eye the most? Which one are you the most like right now?”

• Patricia (a/k/a Roswila) Mon - Jun 04th 2007 11:28 am

Another intense beauty. I see also defending/claiming/reclaiming one’s territory/nest/place in the world.