Four of Air, almost done

in Art, Gaian Tarot

4airinprogressHere’s my 4 of Air, in progress.  It’s almost done.  What a pleasure to work on this piece.  Since it’s a close-up view, I was able to make the original quite small.  In fact it’s the smallest Tarot image I’ve ever done, at about 4.5″ x 6.8″.   Lovely.  I’m anticipating the arrival of Spring, can you tell?

The Four’s in Tarot are all about boundaries and limits, and creating a container for sacred space.  The qualities of Air include the mind, thoughts, communication, ideas, choices, learning/teaching, plans, intentions, hope.  I’d put prayer and meditation in the “air” category too.   So the nest here is the safe structure we create to take time out to rest, dream, incubate our ideas, get our mind clear.   It’s an important message about keeping your boundaries strong — if the nest falls apart, the incubating energy inside is destroyed.  It’s not a bad idea either, when you’re taking a “time out,” to keep your sacred place hidden and safe.  There’s always a predator out there on the lookout, ready to snatch away your alone-time, your personal space, your ideas.

Here’s look at a few other versions of the Four of Swords.

One of the reasons I’m leaving humans out of some of the Minor cards is to emphasize the notion that we are all part of an interdependent web of life.  In Gaian terms, humans aren’t the top of the “great chain of being,” that medieval concept of hierarchy that many Westerners still agree with.  (Actually, God and the angels are “above” man in the chain. But man is above woman, of course, and then animals, plants and minerals.)

Ahhh.  I’m so thankful for a different paradigm.

• Kim Wed - Feb 28th 2007 5:13 pm

This is sooo lovely. In most tarot decks, I don’t care much for the “swords.” But this is just so beautiful.

• Julie in Virginia Thu - Mar 01st 2007 5:22 am

Another beautiful image and so welcome on this March morning! I often speak of creating a “safe-enough” container to do sacred work – but had not made a connection with the container as a nest. duh!
    With the equinox coming, the eggs, the nest, the emergent energy from the dormant earth this is perfect timing.
    Thank you for your devotion to the mending of the planet. Thank you for your art and imagery that reminds us of the old paradigm. I can feel The Great Turning in your work.

• JulieZS Thu - Mar 01st 2007 9:06 am

Beautiful, just so peaceful and gentle an image. I love the idea of a sacred container that is safe enough, the egg, the nest, a mother’s arms. Also, your point of not having people in all the cards makes so much sense, I hadn’t thought of it that way. This work is taking you right through the gateway isn’t it? I can see it now. Go girl go.

• KerrdeLune (Cate) Fri - Mar 02nd 2007 9:25 am

Lovely imagery, and the blue of the eggs in their carefully woven nest is calming and peaceful. This is a marvellous card for springtime and the contemplation of great natural turnings, an exquisite chalice or goblet to hold our dreams and aspirations.
    May we all fly from the nest when our time comes, and may we do so on wise wings.

• Patricia (a/k/a Roswila) Fri - Mar 02nd 2007 10:13 am

Very beautiful. And all your accompanying comments were helpful and enlightening. That “safe container” image particularly. Thanks again!

• JLB Mon - Mar 05th 2007 11:24 am

What a beautiful work in progress. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this card and its creation – they are especially applicable for me today.
    Happy drawing,