I’ve been rereading Christina Baldwin’s wonderful little book, The Seven Whispers: Spiritual Practice for Times Like These
. I’ve been wanting to start a study circle based on the book but have realized that I already participate in enough circles. Maybe one of them will study this book with me later on. But for now I thought I’d work with one chapter a week and invite any of you out there in the blogosphere to study along with me, and to add your comments.
There’s a great interview with Christina about this book posted here.
If you can pick up a copy of the book, please read along with me. If not, you can still participate in the conversation. Christina has a downloadable study plan on her website with discussion or journaling questions.
So, for now, I’m going to post the Seven Whispers with a wee bit of explanation and I’ll start posting my thoughts about Whisper One next Sunday or Monday. A whisper a week for seven weeks — what do you think?
1) Maintain peace of mind ("the cornerstone of a spiritual life")
2) Move at the pace of guidance ("rehumanize our speed of life")
3) Practice certainty of purpose ("a commitment to figuring out why we are here and what we are going to do about it")
4) Surrender to surprise (this helps us "practice the resilience we need to respond to whatever life offers")
5) Ask for what you need and offer what you can ("become spiritual traders of life’s energy, time and abundance")
6) Love the folks in front of you ("look for the good in people even if we don’t think it’s there")
7) Return to the world (remove yourself from the simulated world and "return to the world of the body, the senses, the world of Nature")