A Good Death

in Death & Dying, Family

Thank you for all your loving thoughts and prayers.  After a hard labor that lasted over 24 hours, my father passed away at 2:07 this afternoon. He was surrounded by people who love him on both sides of the veil.   He died being held by two mermaid adopted-daughters, his son-in-law and me. He died with his eyes on mine, hearing me say “I love you, I love you, I love you . . .”

There is more to say.  But for now, we rest.

• Delphyne Sat - Jul 29th 2006 3:28 am

My deepest condolences on the loss of your father.

• Cindy Sat - Jul 29th 2006 8:30 am

My love and prayers are with you all!

• Sophia Sat - Jul 29th 2006 10:06 am

My deepest sympathies. If there is such a thing as a “good death” (and I think there is) your father was certainly fortunate to have had time to hear how deeply he was loved and to see his loved ones around him as he passed. My maternal grandmother passed in much the same way, with her two daughters holding hands across her body, talking quietly to each other, to her, and in mid-conversation, she let go.
    Peace to you and your family.

• JulieZS Sat - Jul 29th 2006 10:46 am

Joanna, I’m so very sorry to hear the news of your father’s passing. But I am also so very glad that your father had a good death. I know how much it meant to you to be present and truly there for him. May your mourning time be peaceful.

• Laura Sat - Jul 29th 2006 11:28 am

Blessings to you in your time of sadness, and blessings your father on his journey. I am holding you both in the Light, as Quakers say.

• Kim Sat - Jul 29th 2006 11:55 am

I am so sorry, Joanna. What a great gift for both of you that you were there. Blessed be, my friend.

• DebR Sat - Jul 29th 2006 12:30 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss, Joanna. I’m glad to know you were able to be with him as he moved on.

• Andy Sat - Aug 19th 2006 2:19 am

I discovered this late, having not visited your space here for a while and so will light a candle this morning for you and for your father and send you love and healing. I know D will be sad to hear this news when I tell him later today.
    I said it in a comment on another post, but once again, I am so, so, sorry to read of your father’s passing but at the same time truly pleased to read that he was surrounded by love and extended family. None of us could wish for more when our time comes, as it does to us all. x