Gaian Children

in Gaian Tarot

It feels quite wonderful to be back in the groove of creating the art for the Gaian Tarot. I have all the Minors planned out, both by element and by number. But I’m discovering that as it comes time to actually create each card, I don’t always stick to the plan. Inspiration leads on to inspiration, and the final card is sometimes not what I had orginally planned at all. Thank Goddess for serendipity!

I’m working on all four number or court cards across the elements at once — I did all the Aces at one time, now all the Children, and next the Two’s. This way I can be sure that all form cards form their own little set and look like they fit together. I started the Children last spring, then had to set them down for months. I finished the last one (the Child of Earth) yesterday.

The Children correspond to the Pages in traditional Tarot decks. I’m not the first one to redefine them as children; it just makes sense to me to see the four levels of court cards as stages in our lives.

Please take a look at the Gaian Tarot Children and let me know what you think!

• Jade Sun - Nov 20th 2005 4:35 pm

Greetings!
    You know, often when I create outlines for my writing or other artistic works, I find that there is a fair amount of transition and evolution which occurs during the actual creative process… it seems only natural! 🙂
    I really enjoyed your Children of the Elements cards, particular the air card dreamers. My only suggestion would be to give the Child of Earth a little more color (perhaps like an “equal opportunity” idea).
    Now, I don’t mean to encourage you to force your art away from its natural progression. I realize my suggestion may completely change the premise of your card, and might be inappropriate to your purpose. This is merely a suggestion from an outsider, and I still think your work is EXCELLENT!
    There is an image I first found in my “We’Moon ’04 – Gaia Rhythms for Womyn” calendar which immediately jumped into my mind when I saw the Child of Earth card. Perhaps it will give you an idea of what I was thinking about…
    The work:
    “Mother Nature at the Age of Three”
    by Robyn Waters © 1993
    It’s on Waters’ front page in fact… it’s the image on the far right:
    Like I said, don’t force the art away from itself if it doesn’t want to move… 🙂 It’s just my humble opinion, and I still think the card you’ve created is both wondrous and wonderful!
    Thank you for sharing – I can’t wait to see the rest of your work!

• DebR Sun - Nov 20th 2005 8:25 pm

They’re all beautiful, Joanna. I especially like the images for the Children of Fire and Water.

• Joanna Mon - Nov 21st 2005 8:10 am

Hi Deb and Jade, thanks for your comments! Jade, the original Child of Earth was brighter and I muted the colors on purpose — it just felt right, more autumn/wintry . . . I clicked the link you mentioned and remembered seeing that piece in WeMoon — I love it, the little girl is so charming. . .. I am excited this morning about starting on the Two of Air!

• Trish Mon - Nov 21st 2005 10:19 am

Congratulations Joanna! The cards are beautiful…and your voice online has been missed! I know well the feeling of having to set aside an artistic (usually writing) project for several months because the reality of life intervenes…your work doesn’t seem to have suffered for it at all!
    Blessings during this wonderful time of year,
    Trish

• carly Mon - Nov 21st 2005 10:33 am

I’m a huge fan of your work. The cards are just beautiful. Interseting that you chose a pet rabbit and not a wild one for the child of earth. That lop is clearly a pet, and not a wild rabbit.

• Karen_Finland Mon - Nov 21st 2005 11:03 am

Hi Joanna,
    I think of you and your artwork almost everyday. I was wondering yesterday if you had been able to do some work for the Gaian Tarot and how your Dad was doing …
    Now I sit in our bedroom, with my back to the fireplace (with spruce burning-lots of noise!) and a tabby cat lying on the bed. Can you guess which Child is my favourite? 😛
    It’s great to have you “back” somehow. Your gorgeous Children lightened up a rather grey day. Thanks,
    Warm blessings to you, Joanna, and your loved ones

• Joanna Mon - Nov 21st 2005 11:14 am

Thanks Carly and Karen! Carly, the choice of the rabbit was intuitive, not rational . . . but the cat in the Child of Fire is domestic too, so we have 2 wild creatures and 2 domestic ones . . . I like that symmetry. Besides, inside every domestic creature is a wild one just waiting to get out, don’t you think?
    Karen, I can just see you by the fire with your cat . . . thanks for that glimpse into your life, and for your warm wishes!