The Aces are up!

in Gaian Tarot

I’ve just posted the Gaian Tarot Aces on my site — please take a look!

A little bit about the Aces from my perspective:

The four “Minor” suits in the Tarot correspond to the four sacred elements. They are usually seen as Air/Swords, Fire/Wands, Water/Cups and Earth/Pentacles. In the Gaian Tarot, we use the pure element as the name of each suit.

The Gaian Tarot Aces depict the birth of creatures who correspond to each element. A butterfly unfolds from a cocoon, a snake hatches from a leathery egg, a salmon fingerling begins to swim, a newborn fawn nestles under a cedar tree.

The energy of an Ace is similar to that of a New Moon — it is a birth or rebirth; a seed, or potential; a new opportunity or a new beginning, full of promise and hope.

This birth takes place in the area of life symbolized by the element and the suit:

Air: thoughts, decisions, communication, intellect, words, plans, intentions, hope.
Fire: creativity, passion, will, sexuality, magic, transformation, enthusiasm, power.
Water: emotions, dreams, pleasure, relationships, inner depths, imagination, spirituality.
Earth: physical world, manifestation, stability, foundation, traditions, grounding, security.

I’ll be looking forward to hearing your comments on the Aces.

• melanie Tue - Apr 05th 2005 3:20 pm

oh my goodness, Joanna, they are stunning!
    Like so many of your cards, they stop my heart, and bring my emotions to a new level. They’re awesome!
    The butterfly is stunning, and did all that to me, then each time I scrolled down a little, to the next card, it happened all over again!
    They are truly beautiful.

• MaryKate Tue - Apr 05th 2005 3:58 pm

WoWoWoWoW… simply breathtaking. I can barely wait for the full deck…
    Just curious… I have often thought that the tarot deck was missing the fifth element (not the movie *grin*) but the element of Spirit. Air, Fire, Water, Earth, Spirit. Anyhow… wondered what you thought.
    Your cards, are *stunning* thank you for sharing their beauty with the world…

• Barbara Tue - Apr 05th 2005 5:23 pm

Those are so beautiful…

• Joanna Tue - Apr 05th 2005 7:39 pm

Thanks for your enthusiasm – I appreciate it so much!
    MaryKate, my feeling is that the Major Arcana corresponds to the element of “spirit” because it addresses all those “big” soul questions.

• Inanna Tue - Apr 05th 2005 8:22 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for these beautiful, moving pieces.

• Seasii Tue - Apr 05th 2005 8:34 pm

Joanna,
    If this is any indication of what the rest of the minors are going to be like the deck is going to be absolutely awesome!!!! You have such a beautiful soul to be able to share such emotion in your cards.
    Being here in Alaska the salmon was a perfect choice for sure. Keep up the great work.
    Blessings,
    Seasii

• Heather Wed - Apr 06th 2005 9:04 am

Wow! Gorgeous. Especially love the Ace of Water.

• JulieZS Wed - Apr 06th 2005 10:05 am

Joanna, The aces are a wonderful start to the minor arcana. The animals you’ve chosen to represent each suit are instantly recognizable as the embodiment of the suit, which means the images sure work for me! Thanks for posting them. I really enjoy the majors deck I bought from you. And can’t wait to see your magazine covers.

• Karen Wed - Apr 06th 2005 3:50 pm

Joanna,
    I have been checking every few days waiting for the Aces, and I am not disapointed. They are beautiful and in keeping with the deck so far bring a whole new level of meaning of the cards. Can’t wait to see the next installment. work hard, work fast!!!!
    Blessings,