April 20 ~ May 23, 2014
“Maiden of Flowers, open the door,
Smith of souls, come you in.
In bud and in blossom you are traveling,
In fruit and fragrance you will arrive.”
— Caitlin Matthews, The Celtic Devotional
“My beloved spoke, and said unto me,
Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
For, lo, the winter is past,
the rain is over and gone;
the flowers appear on the earth;
the time of the singing of birds is come,
and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land . . .
Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.”
— Song of Solomon 2:10-13
In May, everything old grows young again!
It is the season when we bathe our faces in dew, early on May morning.
We gather herbs and flowers, tie them up in ribbons, and leave them on our neighbor’s doorsteps.
We dance the Maypole dance, weaving in and out!
We keep an eye out for the Fae, as the veil is now quite thin between our world and theirs.
We luxuriate in the sensuality of our gardens, and spontaneously buy bouquets for ourselves, our friends and lovers. We sparkle and shine just a little bit more than usual, and have that certain twinkle in our eyes.
“I want to do with you what Spring does with the cherry trees,” wrote Pablo Neruda, and we do — oh, we do!
In May, we get out of our heads and into our bodies. In May, we remember that “you only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.” (Mary Oliver)
In the season of Beltane, the prelude to Summer, we celebrate self-love and sensuality.
And we become Lovers of the Land.
The “Gaian Soul Practices for Beltane / May Day” course helps you make room in your daily life for mindful creative expression. You’ll align yourself with the rhythms of nature as we bedeck ourselves with blossoms and greenery, and celebrate the passion of the Green Man and the Queen of the May.
Each week, we look at a different motif of the seasonal tide:
Week 1: Flowers, Faeries, Goddesses and Green Men
Week 2: Bringing in the May (Celebrating Beltane)
Week 3: Love (of Self, of Others, of the Divine)
Week 4: Sacred Sensuality, Sacred Sexuality
Week 5: Green Love / Biophilia: Guardianship of the Land
My hope for you is that, through this course, you will:
- Become more in tune with the rhythms of nature as you mindfully experience the season of Beltane / May Day.
- Create the habit of reflective journal writing and art-making (including photography).
- Learn to be present and alert to the deeper, hidden messages of the festival of Beltane, the Prelude to Summer.
- Spend regular time with Mama Gaia, allowing Her to heal and nourish you.
- Cultivate your own self-expression through creative practices that lead to self-discovery, healing and wisdom.
Here’s how it works:
- Each Sunday you’ll receive an email with a reflection written by me on that week’s theme. The same material will be available in video and audio formats, so you can choose the learning style that works best for you.
- There will also be ideas for an art project, a nature activity, and a contemplative practice. Choose one that calls to you. Do the others if the spirit moves you.
- Each day (Monday through Friday), you’ll receive a short email with an inspirational photo, quotation, and journaling prompt.
- You’ll be invited to join a the Gaian Soul Circle for two months where you can connect with others taking this course. You’ll be able to post photos of your art projects or your photography, and share any writing you might do.
- When the entire course is over, you’ll receive a printable PDF handout with all of my written reflections, plus the daily inspirational quotes and journaling prompts.
It’s entirely up to you how much you do.
This course gives you a reason to carve out time for yourself, to nurture your spirit and your creative self-expression.
I hope you give yourself the gift of self-nurturing time, and join me!
The course fee is $75.00.
- Payment can be made by Visa, Mastercard, or PayPal.
- Look for your first course email on Sunday, April 20th, 2014.
- Please email me at joanna AT gaiansoul DOT com if you have any questions about the course at all.
Note: This is a self-study course. However, beginning with this Beltane 2014 course, you have free access for two months to the Gaian Soul Circle, where you can connect with other people taking this course.
Want to sign up for all 8 seasonal courses, and circle round the Wheel of the Year?
The fee for all eight courses is $500.00 (a savings of $100.00).
Beltane is one of eight courses, Gaian Soul Seasonal Practices, structured around the Wheel of the Year. Each one is five weeks long, with a week or two between each one. Each one begins a week to ten days before the “holy-day,” like Winter Solstice, Candlemas or Spring Equinox. Sign up for all eight for a price break!
People are talking about the Gaian Soul Practices courses . . .
“Joanna has the eyes of a visual artist and the soul of a poet. Intuitively I was drawn to sign up not only for the first of her Seasons course — Midwinter — but for all of them. And I am so very glad I listened to my intuition. Each posting is instructive, thoughtful and thought-provoking, wise and well-rounded. She prompts reflection through art, spirituality and deep connection with the natural world in postings every week. I feel myself leaning into the new year with renewed hope and fresh expectancy. Joanna has once again gone above and beyond in creating these courses.” — Mary Montanye
“In the midst of the busy holiday season, Joanna’s online course provided quiet time just for me, whenever I wanted it, and inspiration via words, images, and music that led me to be creative in ways that fed my soul.” – Cynthia St. Clair
“This is a gift to give to yourself — a chance to connect to the rhythms of the season, a chance to kindle your soul and your creativity.” – Shelly V.
“Thank you so very much for developing and presenting this wonderful course for the seasons. I have absolutely loved the Midwinter and Candlemas sessions. Receiving the daily email with the beautiful photographs and your journal prompts made “getting up and going” a joy each day. I counted the days until Sunday when I would receive and listen to all of the lessons in the weekly sessions. I loved the audio/visual component. I am looking forward to the rest of the year and truly glad that I have enrolled in the program for the whole year.” — Lori Jordan