March 9 ~ April 11, 2014
“I arise today in the name of the Gatherer of Hope, the Bringer of Springtime, the Brightener of Seasons.”
— Caitlin Matthews, The Celtic Devotional
“She [the Lady of Spring] is each of us. We hold her within, just as we hold all seasons. Bend towards her when she sings her rasping song of growth. Honor both her pain and all her promises.
And remember, too, to dance with her, for she is the power of movement and change. She is the soul within the body, the spirit flashing forth from flesh. She is the power of green life. She is the first being in the world — and she is you.”
— Patricia Monaghan, Seasons of the Witch
Dance with me into the Greening Time! Splash in rain puddles, squish your toes in the mud, fill your arms with bright daffodils, hunt for rainbows, and plant your seeds.
At the Vernal Equinox, we know that light and darkness are held in balance, with Light ascending. We call to our neighbors: “Persephone returns!” and hear the joyful response: “She returns indeed!”
Green fire awakens our bodies and our spirits. We catch spring fever, and rush outside to embrace Mama Gaia in her guise as Ostara, the Maiden of Spring.
The time of rest and hibernation is over, and the time of movement and change has begun!
The “Gaian Soul Practices for Spring” course helps you make room in your daily life for mindful creative expression. You’ll align yourself with the rhythms of nature as we leap into the time of greening and blossoming, and dance with the Maiden of Spring.
Each week, we look at a different motif of the seasonal tide:
Week 1: Stirring & Sprouting
Week 2: Awakening & Rebirth
Week 3: Greening & Growth
Week 4: Resurrection: Grief & Joy
Week 5: Spring Fever & Pilgrimage
My hope for you is that, through this course, you will:
- Become more in tune with the rhythms of nature as you mindfully experience the season of Spring.
- Create the habit of reflective journal writing and art-making (including photography).
- Learn to be present and alert to the deeper, hidden messages of the festival of Spring Equinox / Ostara.
- Spend regular time with Mama Gaia, allowing Her to heal and nourish you.
- Cultivate your own self-expression through creative practices that lead to self-discovery, healing and wisdom.
Here’s how it works:
- Each Sunday you’ll receive an email with a reflection written by me on that week’s theme. The same material will be available in video and audio formats, so you can choose the learning style that works best for you.
- There will also be ideas for an art project, a nature activity, and a contemplative practice. Choose one that calls to you. Do the others if the spirit moves you.
- Each day (Monday through Friday), you’ll receive a short email with an inspirational photo, quotation, and journaling prompt.
- When the entire course is over, you’ll receive a printable PDF handout with all of my written reflections, plus the daily inspirational quotes and journaling prompts.
It’s entirely up to you how much you do.
This course gives you a reason to carve out time for yourself, to nurture your spirit and your creative self-expression.
I hope you give yourself the gift of self-nurturing time, and join me!
The course fee is $75.00.
- Payment can be made by Visa, Mastercard, or PayPal.
- Look for your first course email on Sunday, March 9th, 2014.
- Please email me at joanna AT gaiansoul DOT com if you have any questions about the course at all.
Note: This is a self-study course. A discussion forum is not part of it, unlike earlier versions of this course.
Want to sign up for all 8 seasonal courses, and circle round the Wheel of the Year?
The fee for all eight courses is $500.00 (a savings of $100.00).
Candlemas is one of eight courses, Gaian Soul Seasonal Practices, structured around the Wheel of the Year. Each one is five weeks long, with a week or two between each one. Each one begins a week to ten days before the “holy-day,” like Winter Solstice, Candlemas or Spring Equinox. Sign up for all eight for a price break!
People are talking about the Gaian Soul Practices courses . . .
“Joanna has the eyes of a visual artist and the soul of a poet. Intuitively I was drawn to sign up not only for the first of her Seasons course — Midwinter — but for all of them. And I am so very glad I listened to my intuition. Each posting is instructive, thoughtful and thought-provoking, wise and well-rounded. She prompts reflection through art, spirituality and deep connection with the natural world in postings every week. I feel myself leaning into the new year with renewed hope and fresh expectancy. Joanna has once again gone above and beyond in creating these courses.” — Mary Montanye
“In the midst of the busy holiday season, Joanna’s online course provided quiet time just for me, whenever I wanted it, and inspiration via words, images, and music that led me to be creative in ways that fed my soul.” – Cynthia St. Clair
“This is a gift to give to yourself — a chance to connect to the rhythms of the season, a chance to kindle your soul and your creativity.” – Shelly V.
“Thank you so very much for developing and presenting this wonderful course for the seasons. I have absolutely loved the Midwinter and Candlemas sessions. Receiving the daily email with the beautiful photographs and your journal prompts made “getting up and going” a joy each day. I counted the days until Sunday when I would receive and listen to all of the lessons in the weekly sessions. I loved the audio/visual component. I am looking forward to the rest of the year and truly glad that I have enrolled in the program for the whole year.” — Lori Jordan
• Touch the heart
• And nourish the soulI can’t decide which I like better:• When I open my e-mail to find a daily message, complete with photo, quotation, and writing prompt (how often do you get a message that is addressed to your soul?)
• Or when I’m in my kitchen, click “Play” and sit back to welcome Joanna into my home via the video. What fun to see the images and hear Joanna’s wise voice reminding me of what reflections, soul practices, and great art projects I might do during this season.What part of all these riches might you enjoy the most? Which might bring the most delight to your soul? There’s only one way to find out!Love and blessings, and I hope you join us soon,
Thea, Santa Cruz, CA”