Earth-Centered Practices for Everyday Mystics, Healers, & Creatives

Tarot Spread: Out with the Old, In with the New

in Tarot, Wheel of the Year

This tarot spread from the Gaian Tarot book is a potent one, based on the feedback I’ve received on it. Why not take some quiet time during this New Year’s weekend to do a reading for yourself? Share it in the comments, if you like.  A Blessed New Year to you!

New Year's Spread

1. What do I leave behind in the Old Year?

2. What do I open up to in the New Year?

3. Key Opportunity of the New Year

4. Key Challenge of the New Year

5. Hidden concern (pull from bottom of the deck)

6. Deep Wisdom / Advice from God/dess (pull from middle of the deck)

7. Key Theme of the New Year

If you keep records of your readings, the last card (#7) could become the first card (#1) in next year’s spread.

(From the Gaian Tarot companion book.)

• Pooja Rathore Sat - Dec 31st 2011 3:36 am

Dear joanna,
    wish you Blissful 2012!
    i did my new year reading with the gaian deck which i recieved few days back.I got the following cards
    1.19
    2.3 of earth
    3.7 of fire
    4.Ten of air
    5.Bindweed
    6.seven of air
    7.child of earth
    last year was great i did accomplish a major goal close to my heart ,iam happy to get 3 of earth to gather with my tribe and create something beneficial for the society.I like the 7 of fire card i relate the most with the card which signals that i must not miss the boat or opportunity as there is an opportunity for growth and transformation,Ten of air – i know i have to let go a relationship which though meant a lot for me has no hope for future,Bindweed is also appropriate in terms of few relationships which are not letting me grow its time to say goodbye and bring the balance back in my life,planning will play an important part as its advice from the heavens i like planning and hopefully there will be happy accidents(special moments come when you least expect them opening your heart and mind to infinite possiblities of life),The most important card for me was the theme of year card- child of earth hinting at responsibly handling money and my resources which is my priority for the year 2012.I like the affirmation part – affirmation are nothing but changing thought pattern and i believe they have the potential to bring change if intentions are true and if we are focussed about what we want.
    New year spread is great telling us what to expect,where to work and be the master of our own destiny by using our free will to take out negativity and bring in positivity!

• destabee Sat - Dec 31st 2011 8:02 pm

1. What do I leave behind in the Old Year? Strength (8)– when I turned this card over in this position it bothered me. It is one of my favorite cards in the deck and one of my first emotions was loss and concern because who wants to leave strength behind. I had to sit with the card for a few moments before I could be open to the message. In 2011, I made some changes in my life that meant giving up roles central to my identity and that did take strength. I also learned to stop trying to be an island to myself and start being open to others so in a sense I have been releasing a sort of false strength.

2. What do I open up to in the New Year? Six of Air — when I look at this card my attention is drawn to the sense of peace and openness of the figures present and the sense that even though each is focused inward they are still a community. This card was very fitting as just a an hour or so ago, I was thinking about how I am reconnecting with my existing tribes and sensing that I am discovering a new tribe.

3. Key Opportunity of the New Year is the Priestess (2) another of my favorite cards

4. Key Challenge of the New Year is Nine of Fire

5. Hidden concern (pull from bottom of the deck) is the Elder of Water

6. Deep Wisdom / Advice from God/dess (pull from middle of the deck) is Eight of Earth

7. Key Theme of the New Year is the Explorer of Water

• Aly Blythe Sun - Jan 01st 2012 4:51 am

Hi Joanna,

Lovely spread for a lovely deck. I’ve done the reading and found it to be affirming, gentle, encouraging… and honest.

Here’s what it told me:

1. What do I leave behind in 2011 — 9 of Earth.

Why yes. I have to move out of my comfort zone. I appear to be secure, steady and grounded. Only, I know it’s an illusion: I cling anxiously to what is familiar in order to feel safe. I have routines and rituals all around me, am entrenched in behavioural patterns, and all so I feel unthreatened.

I want change in my life. I have to move away from the familiar, no mater how terrifying that is.

2. What do I need to open up to — 9 of Water.

Interesting – a move within the 9s from earth to water, from the grounded material to watery emotions and intuition. It’s a colder card, less defined – the woman is no longer face on, but has turned her back. It’s no longer clear-cut, but faded and uncertain.

I need to open myself up to the possibility of being carried along by own hopes and dreams, to give synchronicity and flow a chance to carry me along. This isn’t a place of being in control, not after the initial step to put myself there has been taken.

In other words: I need to accept that I don’t know what is going to happen, or how, or why. I need only to know and to trust that something is happening already, and I should go with the flow.

3. Key opportunity — 6 of Air

This year is a chance for new horizons and a new dawn. This year I get to leave the past behind me, move on to new pastures and seek the new. It is, literally, a gust of fresh air.

4. Key challenge — 10 of Water

I mustn’t let myself get bogged down by what is dead, gone and past; I should focus instead on what is new and flourishing. This is especially true when swimming along in a familiar situation: patterns only repeat if I allow them to. I have to make sure I don’t.

5. Hidden concern — Strength

Honestly? I’m not sure I’m strong enough to do what is required. I pulled the first card, the 9 of Earth, and just felt fear. I’m not sure I can overhaul myself so completely, even to get the changes I crave. My fears aren’t toothless – their bite is very real.

6. Deep wisdom — 7 of Fire.

Strike while the iron is hot. You can’t work with metal until it is super-heated – it’s inflexible otherwise.

If I don’t feel passionate about the work I’m doing, I won’t be able to make the changes I need. So I should follow the fire — if something scares me, that’s what I need to do. If something makes me angry, I need to work with that. Indifference is nothing, so will get me nowhere.

So, follow what gets me het-up…and see where it leads.

7. Key Theme — 4 of Water

This year I need to keep emotional balance. I’ll need fire to be motivated, air to discern. Earth… well, at the moment, it’ll just slow me down.

Fire and air an explosive mix, though. I’ll need to spend time on my water self to maintain calm – use meditation, reflection techniques, in order to keep emotional balance. I’ll also need to take care that I don’t go too far and tip into emotional stagnation.

So my key theme this year? Emotional Balance.

Thank you for this, Joanna. I’ll be putting a copy of the 4 of Water on my moodboard at home, using it to guide me through the excitement of this year. I’ll keep you posted…

• hecate Demetersdatter Sun - Jan 01st 2012 9:58 am

What a great spread. It’s giving me lots to think about.

Happy New Year!

Hec

• Jennifer Earle Fri - Dec 27th 2013 5:47 pm

I used the Dance of Life Tarot deck by Audrey Savage and Paula Scott Frantz

1. What do I leave behind in the Old Year? VIII – Animal Tamer (Strength). Whoa. This card stopped me in my tracks. I endured this very difficult year. I battled and battled and return to love as my “weapon” of choice each time.

2. What do I open up to in the New Year? 4 of Money: Greed (Pentacles) I am not entirely sure how to interpret this as something to “open” to but I would love to open up to being “greedy” about taking time for myself, to nurture my spirit and to be protective of the little “free” time I have. I get the sense that there is a protective sacred space quality to this card.

3. Key Opportunity of the New Year: IX Wise Woman (equivalent to The Hermit). Tuning into my internal guidance. Yes. And I think that I combine the above card – and take the time for myself, I will slip into this light upon myself with ease.

4. Key Challenge of the New Year: XVI: Destruction (equivalent to The Tower). It will be a challenge to let some structures fall away, to walk and let go to make space for the new. I am ready for it. I am open to change.

5. Hidden concern (pull from bottom of the deck): Dancer of Health (Swords)-Juggler
    I don’t need to read any further. I have a full-time job, teach 5 dance classes per week and do tarot counseling all on the side. I can’t sustain this juggling act despite dancing through it with joy in my heart.

6. Deep Wisdom / Advice from God/dess (pull from middle of the deck)- 0 Free Child (Fool)
    I am taking a deep cleansing breath with this one. I am willing to allow my spirit to be moved in new directions. <3

7. Key Theme of the New Year: I- Guide (Magician). I have received this card almost every month (as a theme) since June 2013. I can and will create a new reality for myself. Like a phoenix rising from the ashes…

• Joanna Powell Colbert Sat - Dec 28th 2013 7:35 am

I love your reading, Jennifer. Who wouldn’t want the Magician for a theme for the New Year? 🙂

• Gretchen Staebler Sun - Dec 29th 2013 2:45 pm

I’m looking forward to doing this on New Year’s Day when I arrive at Denise’s for my personal retreat with her cat. The readings of the others who have shared here will help me know what to do with it, since I have never had/done a reading. And maybe I will call on you, my friend. And then I am going to start your 22 days exercise. What a jewel you are! So lucky to have met you.

• Joanna Powell Colbert Tue - Dec 31st 2013 7:57 am

Thanks Gretchen! This post might help you get started reading the cards:

Remember that your intuitive “hit” on a card trumps the book meaning every time. 🙂

• Gretchen Staebler Wed - Jan 01st 2014 4:35 pm

Oh, I read that already Joanna 🙂 Very helpful. I have sort of been doing it (before I read how to do it) with my morning draws. But I am going to change that up a little based on your suggestions here.

Share yours…